Advice needed - how do partners decide whom to interview for 3L hiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice needed - how do partners decide whom to interview for 3L hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:22 pm

I am a 3L and mass-mailing to CA firms that have startups and VC practice.

Does each senior partner get to recommend (?) whom to interview when the practice group is huge and has many partners? How do they decide whom to interview when they are only gonna hire one person, probably? How does the 3L hiring process work?

Would it be OK to massmail any partner who practices my areas of interest? I have no ties to CA other than the type of work I want to do, so there is basically no alumni who went to the same school as me.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice needed - how do partners decide whom to interview for 3L hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L and mass-mailing to CA firms that have startups and VC practice.

Does each senior partner get to recommend (?) whom to interview when the practice group is huge and has many partners? How do they decide whom to interview when they are only gonna hire one person, probably? How does the 3L hiring process work?

Would it be OK to massmail any partner who practices my areas of interest? I have no ties to CA other than the type of work I want to do, so there is basically no alumni who went to the same school as me.

I did three 3L callbacks last year. All three callbacks included the assigning partner for the groups, and I got the impression that all three of those partners were also essentially the hiring partners ultimately making the call.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice needed - how do partners decide whom to interview for 3L hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L and mass-mailing to CA firms that have startups and VC practice.

I did three 3L callbacks last year. All three callbacks included the assigning partner for the groups, and I got the impression that all three of those partners were also essentially the hiring partners ultimately making the call.

Thanks for your answer!
How and when did you get 3L callbacks? Massmailing to biglaws that do not have 3L hiring posts would be worthwhile? I notice that biglaws post their 3L hiring on the website.

Return to “Legal Employment�