Bancroft joins K&E

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jchance

Silver

Bancroft joins K&E

Postby Jchance » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:31 pm

https://www.kirkland.com/sitecontent.cf ... emId=12393

your chance to work with Paul Clement.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Bancroft joins K&E

Postby Nebby » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Damn, that's a pretty big acquisition of talent

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Wow. Kirkland added some heavy hitters.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Wow, massive move.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:27 pm

If only they had timed it a couple weeks earlier for 'crootin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Wow. Turned down KE DC, may have affected my decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow. Turned down KE DC, may have affected my decision.

Yeah... actually beating myself over this because I chose a perceived "lifestyle" firm in a secondary market over K&E.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah... actually beating myself over this because I chose a perceived "lifestyle" firm in a secondary market over K&E.

LOL. As if you were going to work in that group anyway. If you want to work with Clement & Co., go get a DC Circuit/SCOTUS clerkship and then apply there post-clerkship.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:17 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL. As if you were going to work in that group anyway.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Nebby wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL. As if you were going to work in that group anyway.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Blackfish wrote:but... what about the free market system at k&e? wouldn't the system allow ppl to work with clement and co.?

:D

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Blackfish wrote:but... what about the free market system at k&e? wouldn't the system allow ppl to work with clement and co.?

THe partners also get to pick who they work with. So clement can still just work with the people he wants to i.e. not people he woudlnt have hired at Bancroft.

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 pm

For those who enjoy luxuriating in the penumubra of prestige, K&E is now a much better firm. You're basically a personal injury mill if you don't have a former SG.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:02 pm

umichman wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

THe partners also get to pick who they work with. So clement can still just work with the people he wants to i.e. not people he woudlnt have hired at Bancroft.

I assumed Blackfish was joking. But in case not, umichman is correct, of course.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:34 pm

FSK wrote:For those who enjoy luxuriating in the penumubra of prestige, K&E is now a much better firm. You're basically a personal injury mill if you don't have a former SG.

what if all you have is a former ACTING solicitor general

rahulg91

Bronze

Postby rahulg91 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:41 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
FSK wrote:For those who enjoy luxuriating in the penumubra of prestige, K&E is now a much better firm. You're basically a personal injury mill if you don't have a former SG.

what if all you have is a former ACTING solicitor general

TTT

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Didn't Clement quite intentionally leave a big firm to go to a boutique? Not to mention he could have gone by himself to any number of big firms at any time. Wonder what Kirkland did to make this attractive.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:34 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Didn't Clement quite intentionally leave a big firm to go to a boutique? Not to mention he could have gone by himself to any number of big firms at any time. Wonder what Kirkland did to make this attractive.

"what" is likely money. The question is how much.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:36 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Didn't Clement quite intentionally leave a big firm to go to a boutique? Not to mention he could have gone by himself to any number of big firms at any time. Wonder what Kirkland did to make this attractive.

My guess is that it's a combination of (a) money and (b) Kirkland's political lean (which is to the right of most big law firms)

MCFC

Platinum

Postby MCFC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:38 pm

I only casually follow these things but wasn't the SSM fight involved in his decision to leave?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:39 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

"what" is likely money. The question is how much.

Well, yes. I don't think Clement is doing this out of charity. But there are lots of firms with money.

Given how he left King & Spalding, I'd be curious to know if Kirkland had to give assurances the firm will give him full independence to choose his cases, etc.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:41 pm

MCFC wrote:

I only casually follow these things but wasn't the SSM fight involved in his decision to leave?

Yup, my recollection is basically that he took the case for the House GOP, then King & Spalding wanted to drop it after getting a sense of the PR consequences, and Clement made his dissatisfaction very public. His point about not dropping a client you already have due to the way the political winds are blowing is well taken, but I bet a lot of firms are not that interested in adding a litany of appeals about Republican pet causes to their marketing materials.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Damn.

I think this tees Kirkland up right with Gibson/Wilmer/W&C/ect. in DC as a far as appellate firepower is concerned.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:11 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
MCFC wrote:

Yup, my recollection is basically that he took the case for the House GOP, then King & Spalding wanted to drop it after getting a sense of the PR consequences, and Clement made his dissatisfaction very public. His point about not dropping a client you already have due to the way the political winds are blowing is well taken, but I bet a lot of firms are not that interested in adding a litany of appeals about Republican pet causes to their marketing materials.

Since kirkland offered "lower" profile but still huge partners 8-9m, my guess is they offered him north of 10 guaranteed. http://abovethelaw.com/2014/12/who-is-b ... llion-man/

Return to “Legal Employment�