family event in a couple weeks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

family event in a couple weeks

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:51 am

Starting work at a large law firm in a week or so. I am a best man for a wedding and have planned a bachelor party in vegas in 6 weeks. I have to leave on a Thursday night and come back on a Sunday morning. Do I just tell the people when they assign me work that I have to be out of pocket that weekend or what or might i have to not go to a bachelor party that I planned and am the best man for?

Platinum

Re: family event in a couple weeks

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Starting work at a large law firm in a week or so. I am a best man for a wedding and have planned a bachelor party in vegas in 6 weeks. I have to leave on a Thursday night and come back on a Sunday morning. Do I just tell the people when they assign me work that I have to be out of pocket that weekend or what or might i have to not go to a bachelor party that I planned and am the best man for?

I'd be up front about it early, ideally through whoever at your firm deals with vacations so you aren't relying on already busy attorneys to remember your schedule. It will almost certainly be fine, especially so early on before you are indispensable, but always be prepared to cancel if someone asks you to. Also and generally when you present the information to them have a solution ready to go instead of just putting a problem on their lap. In this case that probably means "very sorry, i'm traveling the weekend of X for wedding activities but i will have my laptop and be available remotely - would it be helpful if i arranged for a colleague to be available to cover?"

Return to “Legal Employment�