Accepted too many offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Double Trouble

New

Accepted too many offers

Post by Double Trouble » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I exceeded expectations and did very well at OCI. Despite going to a school that is not a T14 (or even a T30), I got six call backs.

Last month, I got an offer from one of the firms I did a callback with that was my top choice. I accepted the offer. I informed all the other firms I had callbacks with, except for two: a V10 firm and a V20 firm. To be honest, I was curious to see whether I would end up getting an offer at a highly ranked firm.

Last week, I got a call from a partner I had interviewed with at the V10. Even though it had been over two weeks since my callback, I got an offer! I was super excited and accepted on the spot. Part of it was due to excitement, but part of it was also due to the fact that I've been reading more about firms lately and I'm beginning to think that the V10 will open more doors for me.

So I've now accepted offers from two firms. I know that my first firm does not allow splitting (I'm not sure about the policy of the V10). Has anyone been in this situation before? How long before I must commit to one firm? I'd like to keep my options open for as long as possible.

Minnietron

Silver

Re: Accepted too many offers

Post by Minnietron » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:31 pm

E. Candidates should honor their employment commitments.

Candidates should, upon acceptance of an offer of employment, notify their office of career services and notify all employers who consider them to be active candidates that they have accepted a position.
If, because of extraordinary and unforeseen circumstances, it becomes necessary for a candidate to modify or be released from his or her acceptance, both the employer and the office of career services should be notified promptly in writing.

You "committed" when you accepted the first offer. You should probably get OCS involved.

http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... Candidates

Double Trouble

New

Post by Double Trouble » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for the link, but aren't those "guidelines," not hard and fast rules?

As far as getting the career office involved, I'd rather not because I know they won't like what I did. Also, I don't like them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Why would you accept if you thought you might want to work at one of the V firms you had outstanding callbacks with? You realize you have like 28 days to make a decision?

Staying in on a firm after accepting another offer just because you are "curious" is not a good reason. If you legitimately wanted to work at one of those firms, or thought you wanted to, you shouldn't have accepted the first offer.

You're either a troll or a jackass. Or a dumbass. I hope both offers get revoked and you end up at Arbys making roast beef.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Double Trouble wrote:Thanks for the link, but aren't those "guidelines," not hard and fast rules?

As far as getting the career office involved, I'd rather not because I know they won't like what I did. Also, I don't like them.
Sure, those are "guidelines." They're the same "guidelines" that, generally, prevent firms from yanking offers for no reason. A reason like a candidate accepting multiple offers. If you have the gusto to dance around the "guidelines," go for it. I just don't understand why you would ask when you must commit. If you're not going to listen to the the "guidelines" for law firm hiring, why are you going to listen to something that is not recognized by firms and accredited schools - i.e. there is no set of "guidelines," let alone "hard and fast rules," for accepting multiple offers and then declining one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Double Trouble

New

Post by Double Trouble » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Brave use of anon, jerk.

I think it's hard for some people to appreciate what it's like to succeed at a lower-ranked school. When I was considering where to go to law school, I was told on TLS that my school is a "dumpster fire." I was basically told that I would ruin my life if I enrolled. Well guess what? I worked hard and dominated most of my classes. I overcame the odds. I'm sure it's easy for someone at a T6 to turn down a V10 offer, but it's not that easy for me.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Double Trouble wrote:Brave use of anon, jerk.

I think it's hard for some people to appreciate what it's like to succeed at a lower-ranked school. When I was considering where to go to law school, I was told on TLS that my school is a "dumpster fire." I was basically told that I would ruin my life if I enrolled. Well guess what? I worked hard and dominated most of my classes. I overcame the odds. I'm sure it's easy for someone at a T6 to turn down a V10 offer, but it's not that easy for me.
I don't know you but I hate you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Can you tell me what market you accepted the offer that you now want to renege on?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Why? It's an arbitrary list. Do you have that much of a prestige-boner?

The simple answer here is that you fucked up. Make your decision as soon as possible and rescind your acceptance from the firm you don't choose. That'll open up a job for someone else. The firm might be pissed, but they have plenty of people who can replace you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:10 pm

muskies970 wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:19 pm

First off, congrats on getting awesome offers. I wouldn't really worry too much about consequences. Worst case you burnt a bridge and OCS will give you a slap on the wrist. Yes, reneging kinda sucks but at the end of the day you should do what you think is best for your career, not your school's image or the ethical standards of strangers on the internet. You'd better believe these would get rid of you in less than a second if their bottom line changed. Those law firms are big organizations who can find an equally if not more enthusiastic kid to replace you in no time.

But now thats whats done is done, you need to let the first firm know you're not going to summer there. There's literally nothing for you to gain by just sitting on two offers. If anything, you're just increasing the chance that somebody at those firms will find out you've committed to more than one firm and then you risk losing both. You're also taking up a spot for literally no good reason. So, yeah, don't be an asshole and just make up your mind.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
muskies970 wrote:

bluthmodelhome

New

Post by bluthmodelhome » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:26 pm

You still haven't explained why you accepted the first offer on the spot rather than working within the guidelines and giving yourself time to see how the callbacks worked out. ??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:30 pm

This is your own fault, and is prima facie evidence that law school grades don't correlate with intelligence. You should have asked for an extension of time to decide, informed the firms you still wanted to hear form that you had a deadline, they WOULD HAVE GOTTEN BACK TO you and then you wouldn't have....

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:34 pm

My first thought is that this is flame. But in the event that it's not: What's done is already done so I'll start with that and advice how you move forward.

Looks to me like you have to rescind one out of two firms, the more time you wait, the more you risk losing both. We all know which one you'd pick. Don't need to get OCS involved and don't let firm 1 know where you're going (i.e. firm 2). Do it quietly and tactfully (I'd call firm 1 and explain the situation, not naming firm 2 (and would leave no trace of written records) but others might disagree on whether to call/email). Good luck.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:42 pm

You're an asshole. Immediately reciend your acceptance to one of the firms because if you were the reason that firms met their yield ratio, then they probably rejected others who are on the wait list. And once you rescind they'll either have to go back to those they rejected or conduct another round of callbacks.

This is the type of shit that will smear your reputation as a lawyer. And of this is a small market, then kiss that reputation goodbye because it's people like you who take chances away from deserving law students.

I would handwrite an apology letter on the most expensive card stock you can find, and let them know asap.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:44 pm

estefanchanning wrote:You're an asshole. Immediately reciend your acceptance to one of the firms because if you were the reason that firms met their yield ratio, then they probably rejected others who are on the wait list. And once you rescind they'll either have to go back to those they rejected or conduct another round of callbacks.

This is the type of shit that will smear your reputation as a lawyer. And of this is a small market, then kiss that reputation goodbye because it's people like you who take chances away from deserving law students.

I would handwrite an apology letter on the most expensive card stock you can find, and let them know asap.
I genuinely hope both firms rescind his offers. Insufferable assholes like OP are the reason people hate lawyers.

Accidental anon- this is Grades???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:46 pm

You don't seem afraid to play fast and loose with ethics and business judgment, but just tell one of the two firms some lie that have a family situation in a xyz market and got an offer in xyz market so u regretfully have to decline the offer.

And going to a lower ranked school shouldn't affect your ability to make sensible decisions.. Be careful in this situation, you could easily end up with no offers.

izha

New

Post by izha » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Double Trouble wrote:I exceeded expectations and did very well at OCI. Despite going to a school that is not a T14 (or even a T30), I got six call backs.

Last month, I got an offer from one of the firms I did a callback with that was my top choice. I accepted the offer. I informed all the other firms I had callbacks with, except for two: a V10 firm and a V20 firm. To be honest, I was curious to see whether I would end up getting an offer at a highly ranked firm.

Last week, I got a call from a partner I had interviewed with at the V10. Even though it had been over two weeks since my callback, I got an offer! I was super excited and accepted on the spot. Part of it was due to excitement, but part of it was also due to the fact that I've been reading more about firms lately and I'm beginning to think that the V10 will open more doors for me.

So I've now accepted offers from two firms. I know that my first firm does not allow splitting (I'm not sure about the policy of the V10). Has anyone been in this situation before? How long before I must commit to one firm? I'd like to keep my options open for as long as possible.
Law firms wouldn't hesitate not to offer you if they thought that would be in their best interests. You should treat them the same way. Decide which offer you like more and say "sorry" to another firm. Those who "hate" you are just jealous and bring ethical pontifications to justify that.

bluthmodelhome

New

Post by bluthmodelhome » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:13 pm

izha wrote:
Double Trouble wrote:I exceeded expectations and did very well at OCI. Despite going to a school that is not a T14 (or even a T30), I got six call backs.

Law firms wouldn't hesitate not to offer you if they thought that would be in their best interests. You should treat them the same way. Decide which offer you like more and say "sorry" to another firm. Those who "hate" you are just jealous and bring ethical pontifications to justify that.
not offering =/= revoking a candidate's offer, which is the equivalent of what OP is doing here.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 pm

I think the overall lack of self awareness is more annoying.. The "I go to lesser school so declining an offer (after I already have accepted one) would be so hard" mantra is asinine. Also, who the hell keeps offers open - seemingly for weeks after already accepting an offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:22 pm

I think the outrage is a bit much, but OP you are a dumbass. You know what I did when I got an offer from my top firm? I accepted and withdrew from all other firms. Why you didn't do this is beyond me. Your top choice is your top choice - and you're the worst kind of law student. A prestige whore.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:23 pm

You're making it sound like you accepted the second offer by accident. It's really hard to accidentally accept an offer.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:24 pm

Apparently those good law school grades didn't teach you how to read rules and contracts.

Your OCS, NALP and the firm's offers lay out your options pretty clearly as one poster listed above. If first firm isn't a NALP firm you may get off easy, otherwise, they could bitch to your OCS. The NALP guidelines are not law, but there is pressure to follow them in my experience.

How does this affect you? Well if the V10 cold offers you, which seems like a greater than 0% chance, don't expect much help from your school finding a 2nd option. In my experience, having people at your school get irked at your character is not the best way to get licensed. I've seen professors/admins file complaints to the bar during applications if they see multiple incidents of questionable character. While schools care about students getting accredited and work, they care more about not having ""X caught embezzling client's funds. X is a recent graduate of Y Law School" in the paper.
Last edited by Bluem_11 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:28 pm

yeah I'd just tell the firm that was your "top choice" that you're sorry but you can't return next summer. They'll think you're a moron/dickhead, but ultimately, whatever. Pretty stupid on your part overall and you should probably check the chip on your shoulder re: your dumpster fire law school. Not helpful (just look at the situation you find yourself in).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”