ADHD and Anxiety struggling to obtain employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ADHD and Anxiety struggling to obtain employment

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:07 pm

I was diagnosed with ADHD and Anxiety prior to law school and have been on Adderall the entire time along with antidepressant. Now I am struggling more than ever to obtain employment after the bar exam is over and entering the real-world again. I regret doing it full-time and not staying as a paralegal in midlaw that way I maintained some sort of sanity. Anyone who struggles with ADHD and Anxiety in the legal industry want to share some advice (I know this isn't a medical forum, but we're in the same industry and I want to hear positive experiences of what helped transition from study mode to work mode). Thank you!

Background:
Paralegal in Midlaw/U.S. Senate intern (Clinton, offered Organizer position in diff state turned it down should be in HQ).
1L SA in Insurance Defense, Complex Claims, Litigation (Midlaw firm that I was a paralegal at prior to law school)
2L WH internship over the summer

Anonymous User

Re: ADHD and Anxiety struggling to obtain employment

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Keep the faith friend. I was diagnosed just after undergrad and am on vyvanse now and I can't believe the difference. I'm a 2L now so I can't give any perspective on actual practice but I completely understand the struggle. Know you're not alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:39 pm

thank you, tried Vyvanse and it was still a struggle, I just want some sort of stability. What dose if you don't mind me asking and are you on any anti-anxiety with the Vyvanse? Glad to know I'm not alone here.

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thank you, tried Vyvanse and it was still a struggle, I just want some sort of stability. What dose if you don't mind me asking and are you on any anti-anxiety with the Vyvanse? Glad to know I'm not alone here.

lower your dose of both. srsly. I have both also --- gnarly ADHD/ADD and anxiety. You should not be able to "feel" your ADD meds. Like it should be the lowest dose that is barely noticeable, you can nap on, etc. It will do wonders with helping you relax, if you're anything like me, but have it too high even like 5 mgs and it'll have the reverse effect. Ask your doc to give you half what you're taking, try it out. Also I dk what you're taking for anxiety, but PM me. Avoid benzos like the plague. They make anxiety worse. SSRIs also, like most ADHD meds, are VASTLY over prescribed. and not just in terms of how many they give out -- I mean in dosage.

Be well <3

oh also, I know it isn't a miracle pill but take it from me -- there isn't one. Most cause worse issues. Try meditation, esp gratitude meditation. Im serious. It's good shit, and scientifically literally rewires your brain. Some studies show that it is more effective or at least as effective as pharmacological "solutions", but w/o any of the horrid, negative side effects.

eta: obviously, talk this all over with your doctor. this is all just ime. and never cold turkey any medicine, especially if you're taking a benzo of any kind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:07 am

I completely understand wanting more stability... It's hard when you go so long without a diagnosis then get put on meds that make you feel normal for the first time in forever but it only lasts for 8-10 hours a day.

I'm on 50 mg started at 30 mg about a year ago. I'm not on anti anxiety meds but I do suffer from anxiety. I'm lucky in that vyvanse usually don't make my anxiety worse. I've discussed going on anti anxiety meds with my psychiatrist but she wants to keep me on as few meds as possible and I can't really argue with that. Exercise has proven to be the most effective way to keep my anxiety to a minimum but OCI/job searching has really been rough on me. I know for a fact I couldn't do law school without my meds and I probably won't be able to have a career without them. I might drop down to a lower dose once I take the bar but I don't foresee a future where I'm not on some kind of stimulant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:10 am

Sprout wrote:You should not be able to "feel" your ADD meds. Like it should be the lowest dose that is barely noticeable, you can nap on, etc. It will do wonders with helping you relax, if you're anything like me, but have it too high even like 5 mgs and it'll have the reverse effect.

So true... I was put on Ritalin at first and remember taking my first dose and feeling the most mentally at peace id felt in years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 am

I don't know about ADHD, but I would imagine figuring out the right dosage and combo of meds for both those things together would take some trial and error, so I hope you can figure out a way to get to a better place. I do think the legal industry is tough on the anxiety-prone. I lean that way and have been on anti-anxiety meds in the past - lexapro was the most helpful; I tried Xanax and it made me suicidal, but these all vary a lot by person. Now I mostly have the anxiety under control, but the stress of law can definitely trigger it (lots of sort of catastrophic thinking and prophesying of doom - I have to very consciously tell myself that making a mistake does not mean that the world will end, and remind myself that just because I'm super-anxious about something doesn't mean it is actually super-important - that the anxiety distorts my thinking).

For me, exercise (either hard cardio or yoga) and getting enough sleep are really crucial (I know that sounds pretty basic but it's so easy not to do these things), and also having hobbies and a life outside of work, to help me leave work at work and really get out of my work headspace when I get home. I also absolutely recommend meditation (not so much because of my own experience but because how well I've seen it work for my husband).

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I have to very consciously tell myself that making a mistake does not mean that the world will end, and remind myself that just because I'm super-anxious about something doesn't mean it is actually super-important - that the anxiety distorts my thinking).

For me, exercise (either hard cardio or yoga) and getting enough sleep are really crucial (I know that sounds pretty basic but it's so easy not to do these things), and also having hobbies and a life outside of work, to help me leave work at work and really get out of my work headspace when I get home. I also absolutely recommend meditation (not so much because of my own experience but because how well I've seen it work for my husband).

so much yes to the bolded, esp the first one.

Return to “Legal Employment�