I Can't Even Land a 20 Attorney Firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I Can't Even Land a 20 Attorney Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:56 pm

was top 10% at a TT, transferred to T14. Have applied to literally every firm in my home market. Been dinged from every single one, even the smallest office that offers an SA program that pays substantially under market.

I dont know what is going on, but I thought with my 1L grades, W/E, ties to area, etc, I'd be able to get an SA. Am I doing something substantially wrong? Mediocre interviewer, usually make good connections and have good answers to typical interview questions.

Mean while, other people have multiple offers at 180 firms.
How depressing

I usually get an initial interview because I am good on paper, but then I get like 1 CB for every 15 interviews I do, and then get dinged from the CB.

bk1

Diamond

Re: I Can't Even Land a 20 Attorney Firm

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Did you apply broadly or just to that one market? Presuming your home market isn't NYC, it doesn't have a ton of SA spots (even places like Chi/DC/LA/etc don't have tons when compared to NYC).

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Yea, mail every firm in NYC if you haven't already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:20 pm

bk1 wrote:Did you apply broadly or just to that one market? Presuming your home market isn't NYC, it doesn't have a ton of SA spots (even places like Chi/DC/LA/etc don't have tons when compared to NYC).
Just checked my email -- I've applied to 85 NYC firms. 25 in my home market; about 15 in texas, and another 30 in random areas.

Nothing is working.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:Did you apply broadly or just to that one market? Presuming your home market isn't NYC, it doesn't have a ton of SA spots (even places like Chi/DC/LA/etc don't have tons when compared to NYC).
Just checked my email -- I've applied to 85 NYC firms. 25 in my home market; about 15 in texas, and another 30 in random areas.

Nothing is working.
As bad as it sounds, that's just the tip of the law firm ice Berg. There are people who apply to over 500 and only get one offer. Just go down NALP for every market NALP lists, go to the ATL 180 page, then hit martindale. Then you can just google "x city law firm" and go from there. Mass mail places that don't even mention taking summers. You still have a month and a half to look. It's early September. People get offers much much later. Just keep your head up and apply to more. You'll hit something eventually. In the meantime do more mock interviews. With friends, CSO, family, anyone willing.
Last edited by Dr. Nefario on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Apply to way more. I also think you overestimate the strength of your grades. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of firms aren't going to be impressed by top 10% at a T2 school, regardless of the transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I think you may want to focus your efforts - many firms in Texas may not even consider you unless you've got strong ties (unless you do then please go ahead). I am a 2L like yourself who transferred to T14; I think the good thing for people in our position is that we know what questions will come up (why did you transfer, why this market if you're switching geographically). I think the biggest thing is to mail out applications consistently. Apart from that, maybe you're having trouble connecting with the interviewers. I would probably mock with a person you know or career service office and see what you need to work on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm in a similar position. I transferred to T14 also, but from T4. It's been hard since I'm primarily targeting a smaller regional market even though I've massmailed 450+ recruiters. I've been rejected by my 3 callbacks. One thing that has been sort of working is contacting alums at the firms. One midlaw partner today told me he's going to fight to get me in as a summer clerk, but he fears that the firm has already made its hires. But hey it's better than nothing. Don't give up. I highly recommend you start reaching out to alumns, or hiring partners, or even partners that are in the practice area you are interested in. Most will ignore, some will talk to you, and others will forward your materials to recruiting and CC you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:47 pm

There are probably 500 firms in NYC that you should apply to just off the bat (either big law or significant mid law firms).

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:31 pm

Your problem is obviously your interviewing. 1CB for 15 interviews is abysmal.

You are not even close to an okay interviewer. I myself am "okay." MY ratio was like 2 or 3 screeners to 1 CB.

Do some mocks with a friend or family who you know will give you real and honest criticism. It'll feel awkward but it's what you need.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:44 pm

Work on your interviewing. Evaluate your interview attire and appearance. Your interviewing skills and/or appearance are part of the problem here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:Your problem is obviously your interviewing. 1CB for 15 interviews is abysmal.

You are not even close to an okay interviewer. I myself am "okay." MY ratio was like 2 or 3 screeners to 1 CB.

Do some mocks with a friend or family who you know will give you real and honest criticism. It'll feel awkward but it's what you need.
Thats what I thought (I am OP) so I went to career serv and did a mock interview. Counselor said I did well -- all she suggested was I tweak a few answers (explain a bit longer on why practice area xxx), etc. No huge mistakes or anything.

Do you guys think it's because I am marketing myself into lit? When asked, I say ''I definitely see myself as a litigator; I've tried both corp and lit, and really enjoy litigation for x y z.'' (shortened version).

My fear is if I am marketing myself as lit, if a firm isn't looking to take on lit SAs, I'm dead in the water from the get-go

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 pm

lawman84 wrote:Work on your interviewing. Evaluate your interview attire and appearance. Your interviewing skills and/or appearance are part of the problem here.
I am a 5'10'' male, fit, and always shave/haircut before, and wear a well fitting navy suit w/ brown shoes brown belt. I feel like I always look very good when I get ready for interviews

goodman1

New

Post by goodman1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Don't wear brown shoes. Brown shoes sort of give a relaxed vibe. Wear black shoes always. Black and Navy looks good and is more professional I think. Brown again is relaxed and casual.

And also this means switching up the belt from brown to black to match your shoes. I know this is a minor adjustment and probably won't help you with what your facing now, but anything helps in appearance.
Last edited by goodman1 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Work on your interviewing. Evaluate your interview attire and appearance. Your interviewing skills and/or appearance are part of the problem here.
I am a 5'10'' male, fit, and always shave/haircut before, and wear a well fitting navy suit w/ brown shoes brown belt. I feel like I always look very good when I get ready for interviews
If you're confident in your appearance, work on your interviewing. I recommend using someone who isn't with the CSO. Use people who will push you hard and give you honest feedback.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:20 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you're confident in your appearance, work on your interviewing. I recommend using someone who isn't with the CSO. Use people who will push you hard and give you honest feedback.
Anyone on here willing to skype diagnose me? srs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm sorry. Something is clearly wrong, either with your resume or interviewing skills. But it's probably your resume, given how you've been shut out in NYC. Hire a NYC biglaw headhunter just to look over your resume, even if it costs you $1k. You need to do this. Go and get it.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:24 pm

How have you "tried" both corporate and lit as someone interviewing for a 2L SA? I doubt it is the issue, but the pitch is pretty weak. Avoid adverbs (like "really enjoy," and "definitely see"). If I heard that, I'd just think someone was telling me what I wanted to hear. As a transfer I suspect you have to do more to impress interviewers, so at least be as precise as possible in your language. Also, if you think a 20 person firm is below you, don't even bother interviewing.
Last edited by ClubberLang on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:25 pm

Doesn't hurt to do mock interviews and get feedback but its entirely possible your interview skills have nothing to do with this. Keep applying and networking, there's still plenty of time, and don't fixate on where other people are at in the process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Re: interview to callback ratio - OP may well need to work on interviewing, but if OCI was lottery only (like it often is at T14s), he may well have gotten screeners with firms he had no chance with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:01 pm

ClubberLang wrote:How have you "tried" both corporate and lit as someone interviewing for a 2L SA? I doubt it is the issue, but the pitch is pretty weak. Avoid adverbs (like "really enjoy," and "definitely see"). If I heard that, I'd just think someone was telling me what I wanted to hear. As a transfer I suspect you have to do more to impress interviewers, so at least be as precise as possible in your language. Also, if you think a 20 person firm is below you, don't even bother interviewing.
Had summer jobs at law firms in college; both lit. Did a corp job for my 1L summer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Re: interview to callback ratio - OP may well need to work on interviewing, but if OCI was lottery only (like it often is at T14s), he may well have gotten screeners with firms he had no chance with.
I had 15 screeners; I bid V40 and below, except for 2 V20s that I took a chance on. Got 1 CB with a NYC v50, ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:05 pm

Can I use a headhunter for SA search? Is this a thing? Also, can someone recommend a headhunter company for me?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”