3L -- bottom half of CCN

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L -- bottom half of CCN

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm a 3L in the bottom half of my class at CCN. I have a full-time offer at a V20, but my GPA is pretty low -- 3.14. Suffice to say I will be graduating with no honors or LR. I am absolutely grateful for having a BigLaw job after law school, but I am concerned about my long-term career prospects given my low GPA.

So, three questions.
1) To what extent do law school grades continue to matter after you begin practicing?
2) More specifically, would I be able to lateral from a V20 into a V10 despite having low grades from law school?
3) How should my poor performance in law school affect the practice area I ultimately choose (lit v. corp)?

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Re: 3L -- bottom half of CCN

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L in the bottom half of my class at CCN. I have a full-time offer at a V20, but my GPA is pretty low -- 3.14. Suffice to say I will be graduating with no honors or LR. I am absolutely grateful for having a BigLaw job after law school, but I am concerned about my long-term career prospects given my low GPA.

So, three questions.
1) To what extent do law school grades continue to matter after you begin practicing?
2) More specifically, would I be able to lateral from a V20 into a V10 despite having low grades from law school?
3) How should my poor performance in law school affect the practice area I ultimately choose (lit v. corp)?

You will literally never get another job again!!!!!!!!!! But actually, I highly doubt anyone will care that you do not have Stone (let alone Kent) on your resume or any other similar distinction at the other places. You will be bombarded by recruiter emails like everyone else in the world. If in 1-3 years, you still care about that V10 prestige, then by god, you might just make it longer than most of us in this profession!

As far as lit vs. corp, though, fair question. I feel like corp is more forgiving, but I know nothing about lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:55 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:55 pm

bump

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Why do you want to lateral from a V20 to a V10?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:00 pm

star fox wrote:Why do you want to lateral from a V20 to a V10?

I suspect it comes from the same place that prompts someone to bump a rather non-urgent question after 40 minutes.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Stealth deleter original anon OP - first off I don't know why you need to post anon if you have 0 posts on your account. Second, to answer your question, I have no idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:18 am

OP - it will matter marginally. My more burning question is why you are going into one very stressful job with one foot out the door solely for the purpose of getting marginally more prestige in an essentially useless ranking (I have filled out the Vault survey before and its uselessness is if anything, understated on this forum).

I was a CCN student, so I get that there's a ton of people going to the same 5-6 elite firms and you feel left out. 6 months after the job begins, some of those people will be on the verge of quitting entirely, and most others will hate their lives just as much as you. Focus on doing the best you can at your current firm before trying to jump the ladder.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:43 am

rpupkin wrote:
star fox wrote:Why do you want to lateral from a V20 to a V10?

I suspect it comes from the same place that prompts someone to bump a rather non-urgent question after 40 minutes.

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment�