Questions about secretaries from new associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Startled Rabbit

New

Questions about secretaries from new associate

Post by Startled Rabbit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:22 pm

I start at a big law firm in a week. I've never had a secretary except for last summer and I didn't ask her to do much, so I have a few questions:
1. What type of relationship should I shoot for (or expect) with my secretary?
2. What types of things can I ask him/her to do?
3. Should I have a chat with my secretary during my first few days to go over this sort of stuff with him/her?

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Questions about secretaries from new associate

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Startled Rabbit wrote:1. What type of relationship should I shoot for (or expect) with my secretary?
Friendly and collegial. She's not your mom or someone you'll do tequila shots with. You're her boss, but she also (probably) knows more than you. Unless it's absolutely objectively impossible, be nice.
Startled Rabbit wrote:2. What types of things can I ask him/her to do?
Proofread memos, file stuff with the court, file stuff in general, put together pleadings/exhibits, put in your time if you want, send mail, get your mail, that kind of stuff. Though some of that may be done by paralegals.
Startled Rabbit wrote:3. Should I have a chat with my secretary during my first few days to go over this sort of stuff with him/her?
Sure, if you want to. You're both, y'know, people. Would you like your new boss to talk to you?

Startled Rabbit

New

Post by Startled Rabbit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Okay, this all sounds good. Thanks!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Good to remember that everything is ultimately your responsibility. My secretary proofreads stuff but I always review in hard copy one more time before stuff goes out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”