Ethical Guidance on Reneging on SA acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ethical Guidance on Reneging on SA acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 pm

I had a 1L SA position at a firm in my home market this summer. The firm offered and I accepted a 2L SA position. I accepted knowing that this firm allowed several people who were 1L SAs last summer to spend ten weeks somewhere else this summer and to touch-back to the firm in August. Now, this firm has allowed several of the other 1L SAs from this summer to set up the same August touch-back schedule for next summer. However, when I asked for the same accommodation, I was told that they really want me there for the whole summer.

Obviously, I shouldn't have accepted the offer or at least should have made it clear that my acceptance was conditional on them allowing me the same accommodation that they have made and are continuing to make to other students. But what should I do now? Does the TLS community think I am obligated to stick with the firm or should I feel free to renege?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Ethical Guidance on Reneging on SA acceptance

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Presumably you have another offer (if not then it's kind of a moot point). It sounds to me that they're not 100% sure on you and want more time to evaluate. That would make me nervous about working only there (though be wary about making sure that whatever made them hesitant does not happen at any other place you summer).

I think you'd be fine to say that you can't do any more than a touchback (which might lead them to say they can only give you a full summer).

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Why do you feel you may be obligated to stick with them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:09 pm

OP here:

I do have another offer from a V10 New York firm. I think that the real issue is that my home market firm doubts that I'm serious about coming back to the firm after graduation. They probably think I'm looking to make some more money in August after the other summer program ends. But maybe they do have doubts about me; if they do then I wish they would say so because in that case it would seem best for both parties for me to spend the summer somewhere else.

I think I may be obligated because I told the hiring partner that I would return next summer. I said this assuming that they would make the same accommodation for me that they make for others.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

I do have another offer from a V10 New York firm. I think that the real issue is that my home market firm doubts that I'm serious about coming back to the firm after graduation. They probably think I'm looking to make some more money in August after the other summer program ends. But maybe they do have doubts about me; if they do then I wish they would say so because in that case it would seem best for both parties for me to spend the summer somewhere else.

I think I may be obligated because I told the hiring partner that I would return next summer. I said this assuming that they would make the same accommodation for me that they make for others.

Why not just say that to the partner? In as tactful a manner as possible of course, but there's nothing unethical about just bringing it up.

GeneralLawyer

New

Postby GeneralLawyer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Could you say that you understood it to be at least somewhat common that a 1L SA is allowed to do a touch back in their 2L summer at this firm? And the fact that they want you, specifically, to be there all summer is concerning because it makes sense to assume the reason for treating you differently is that they are less sure. You only have one shot at your 2L summer, you should spend it in a way that is most likely to get you an offer.

Return to “Legal Employment�