Responding to offer voicemail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Responding to offer voicemail

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:20 am

I received an offer via voicemail and then an email later from recruiting. The voicemail was from the hiring partner who i met with. Is it ok to email the HP to say thank you and say I am accepting and then email recruiting too, or do i definitely need to call the HP?

Thanks!

Platinum

Re: Responding to offer voicemail

Post by 2014 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer via voicemail and then an email later from recruiting. The voicemail was from the hiring partner who i met with. Is it ok to email the HP to say thank you and say I am accepting and then email recruiting too, or do i definitely need to call the HP?

Thanks!
Can definitely do it by email, they probably prefer it frankly. I'd CC someone in recruiting also.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer via voicemail and then an email later from recruiting. The voicemail was from the hiring partner who i met with. Is it ok to email the HP to say thank you and say I am accepting and then email recruiting too, or do i definitely need to call the HP?

Thanks!
I disagree with the above poster. I would highly recommend that you respond in kind to the partner and then return the email from recruiting. Hiring partner took the time and added a personal touch by calling you; I would do the same. If you're declining the offer, then I'd of course email. If you get the partner's voicemail (pretty likely), just thank them for the call, mention how you had a great time meeting everyone at the firm and that you're excited to accept the offer. Note that you received an email from recruiting and that you're going to formally accept by email following the call.

Just for context, I've called a bunch of students over the past few years with summer offers and probably 4 out of 5 respond by phone. For the 1 that doesn't, my impression is that they're just too nervous/aspie to talk on the phone. If you're in the latter camp (seems like you are by your preference for an email response) just call during the lunch hour today. You're likely to get voicemail. Congrats on the SA!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Did you recently interview at this firm or did you get off a waitlist? I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms - if you could give any info it would be appreciated.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Respond however you'd like. It doesn't matter. No one is going to remember one way or the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:44 pm

Just make a simple phone call. It'll likely take less than 5 minutes and it'll show respect and appreciation. Anyways, congrats!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:50 pm

If I'd extended the offer I'd much prefer the email but I don't enjoy chit chatting with random people, particularly silly law students, so who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 am

Bump to ask a Quick Q - Received an offer via voicemail but am planning on still participating in (a limited) OCI. How should I respond to the voicemail? Say thanks so much and I will get back to the firm after OCI? Don't want to come off as ungrateful or as though I'm playing with the firm. I easily see myself joining the firm but just want to make sure I have the chance to look elsewhere. Offer is open until September 1 so no issue with timing. Thank you for input!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Just let them know you got the voicemail, you appreciate the offer very much, and you'll give them a response by Sept 1. You don't have to explain what you're doing in the meantime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:22 pm

I'd say step outside of the box, find the Hiring Partner's AIM address and message them. Preferably with an eggplant emoji.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Raiden wrote:I'd say step outside of the box, find the Hiring Partner's AIM address and message them. Preferably with an eggplant emoji.
:shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”