Dykema no-offers even more SAs - are they dying or just a shitty firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dykema no-offers even more SAs - are they dying or just a shitty firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Dykema left summer associates in a couple offices hanging until today, then no-offered what seems like entire summer classes without warning. So not only did they fuck over their summers for a post-grab job with them, but they waited until fucking September to do it, drastically reducing the chances that these kids land on their feet.

If you think this is an isolated incident, it isn't. They no-offered in another market without warning after spending all summer acting like they had room for everyone.

Either Dykema is in financial trouble or they're run by shitty people. Take your pick, I guess.

Anonymous User

Re: Dykema no-offers even more SAs - are they dying or just a shitty firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dykema left summer associates in a couple offices hanging until today, then no-offered what seems like entire summer classes without warning. So not only did they fuck over their summers for a post-grab job with them, but they waited until fucking September to do it, drastically reducing the chances that these kids land on their feet.

If you think this is an isolated incident, it isn't. They no-offered in another market without warning after spending all summer acting like they had room for everyone.

Either Dykema is in financial trouble or they're run by shitty people. Take your pick, I guess.

I know someone who got no offered by Dykema in 2008/2009 - so can't take much out of that.

HOWEVER, from people I've talked to at UMICH, and other schools they recruit from I haven't met one that had a callback with them post screener. Again, I'm not sure I can take much out of that too. This is also coming from myself who was dinged at dykemma post screener, but CBs at many of its competitors. However, again, not sure what I can take out of one individualized case.

Just looking at NALP - it looks like they ramped up SAs in their Detroit office from 4 to 7 from 2015 to 2016. I wonder if they over hired.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Financially, 2014 was a great fucking year for them (not sure whether it was new business or just new partner acquisitions that brought in some bank), PPP jumped from 515K to 560K. 2015, however, while they grew profits, their PPP went down to 505K. Ruh roh.

I don't know how their 2016 has gone, but if it hasn't been positive, and it looks like they might lose some partners to more attractive firms, then I can see them tightening belts, restricting hiring and focusing their salary expenditures on trying to retain existing good talent.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:38 pm

Oh but this still sucks and is a shitty thing to do, Dykema

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:06 pm

that sucks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:45 pm

At UMich and several classmates went there, obviously. Is this confirmed? Where is this coming from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 pm

I've heard that several Michigan students got no-offered as well. Don't want to say more, but I'm a current student.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 pm

I work with a partner who left in the past ~2 years. He left because he thought the firm was going in a bad direction. Obviously anecdotal and just his experience, but thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Dykema dropped out of UCLA's OCI like a week before. So people wasted their bids on them. Wonder if this is correlated.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enibs

Bronze

Postby enibs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 am

I can't speak to Dykema specifically, but this is the type of conduct that suggests some degree of economic issues. One has to recognize that law firms are businesses and, if they can't sustain new hires, they're going to do what they need to do. Obviously it would have been better to let people know earlier, but they may have been unsure about what their needs would be. It's still better than hiring people and then laying them off in their first year, as happened at some firms during the financial crisis.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:31 am

enibs wrote:I can't speak to Dykema specifically, but this is the type of conduct that suggests some degree of economic issues. One has to recognize that law firms are businesses and, if they can't sustain new hires, they're going to do what they need to do. Obviously it would have been better to let people know earlier, but they may have been unsure about what their needs would be. It's still better than hiring people and then laying them off in their first year, as happened at some firms during the financial crisis.

Not so convinced that it is, actually. These students may not now get a Biglaw position at all. A bunch of layoffs that look like layoffs but which occur after an associate has at least worked gives them a decent chance of lateraling. A no offer is incredibly dangerous for a law student.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Any updates on this situation? Was Dykema the only Detroit firm that no-offered this year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on this situation? Was Dykema the only Detroit firm that no-offered this year?

I've only heard of Dykema for past cycle.

You looking Detroit market? What firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on this situation? Was Dykema the only Detroit firm that no-offered this year?

I've only heard of Dykema for past cycle.

You looking Detroit market? What firms?

I've got an SA at a non-dykema Detroit firm next summer (think dickinson wright/honigman).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:31 am

Can anyone actually confirm that no-offers happened, this year? I know one person at Dykema, and she received an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone actually confirm that no-offers happened, this year? I know one person at Dykema, and she received an offer.

I can confirm one in a non-Detroit office.

Return to “Legal Employment�