Accepting Second Round v. First Round Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepting Second Round v. First Round Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:29 am

Was totally mentally prepared to accept an offer at Firm A, and then yesterday I got an offer from Firm B. Interview at Firm B was several weeks ago, so this is clearly a second round offer. Meanwhile, I've done the whole offer dinner/second look thing at Firm A and have really enjoyed meeting people. The firms are fairly comparable and both in my target market, but Firm B is slightly better for the practice I think I want to go into.

Here's the thing. My interview at Firm B was with three associates and the partner that heads up the practice group I'd want to go into. She is also on the Hiring Committee. Although my interview with her was fine, I can't help but think she must have been the one who put the brakes on hiring me in the first round. Is it crazy to accept under the possibility that the head of the practice group I'd want to go into might not like me/didn't want to hire me initially for whatever reason? Does this even matter/do people even remember?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Re: Accepting Second Round v. First Round Offer?

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 am

No one will remember this.

Anonymous User

Re: Accepting Second Round v. First Round Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:31 am

FWIW (not a partner), I still remember the people I interviewed from five years ago, along with why I did/didn't want them to work with us. I also definitely thought back to the interviews when the people I didn't like ended up not working out. I don't really remember the candidates that I liked better than the ones we got, though I do vaguely remember that they existed.

That said, in your case, you don't know if she didn't like you, or if she just liked other people better (which is a significant distinction). While she may remember in five years that she didn't like you, she's probably not going to remember the people she liked better; that'll probably become a non-issue. Even if she didn't like you and remembers it, everyone has to at least act like professionals; the fact that I didn't like the colleagues being hired didn't mean I didn't still treat them with professional courtesy, and didn't mean that I cared more about my personal distaste for the person than about their work product/etc. There's no way a busy partner is going to avoid giving you work just because of a personality clash, so long as you're doing good work efficiently. So as long as you're not worried about being able to do good work, I wouldn't worry about that, either. Pick the firm that's a better fit.

Return to “Legal Employment�