OCI/MM: Explaining why you are still interviewing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI/MM: Explaining why you are still interviewing?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:52 pm

So still haven't gotten an offer but lucky enough to still be getting screeners/CBs. Starting to get variations of "did OCI not work out?" and "what firms do you have deadlines with now." How do I field that question when I've got nothing so far?

Anonymous User

Re: OCI/MM: Explaining why you are still interviewing?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:59 pm

lie.

"I participated in OCI but am more interested in smaller firms where it is less likely I'll get lost in the shuffle and I'm more likely to get substantive hands-on training sooner"

2ez

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:59 pm

I would do your best to avoid admitting you don't have any outstanding offers. You always want to seem like you're the bell of the ball. Maybe say you don't have any offers in your desired market or practice area. Or maybe just say all of your offers are open for a long time - that's a bit of a lie but you could frame that answer in grey area between the absolute truth and an outright lie.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Asking "did OCI not work out?" is an obnoxious question. If asked, just say, "No, I'm still looking." If asked "what firms do you have deadlines with now," just answer truthfully: if you have approaching offer deadlines, tell the firm about them; if you don't, say that you don't have any.

Return to “Legal Employment�