Jones Day or Sidley (LA)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Jones Day or Sidley?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Jones Day
33%
Sidley
67%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

Jones Day or Sidley (LA)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Hey TLS. Could really use some help. I'm in the fortunate position to choose between these two firms but I'm struggling a bit. Probably leaning toward litigation but also interested in trying assignments from other practice groups before committing.

Jones Day Pros: Excellent culture. People were very nice. It seems like many of the partners would be great to work with. New Lawyers Group seems like it provides some flexibility for new associates to find their preferred practice group. No debt, financially strong firm that has a great reputation of not laying people off during the recession.

Jones Day Cons: Compensation structure is a bit of a concern. Despite the New Lawyers Group and flexibility with practice area, outside of litigation, each area only has one or two associates (per NALP directory). Not sure if this would make it difficult to enter a practice area outside of litigation.

Sidley Pros: Also great culture. Everyone I met with was great and the LA office seems to have a good reputation for a collaborative work environment. Summer program also lets SAs try different practice groups and entry level associates aren't forced to specialize immediately. Many different practice groups with a good amount of associates in each. No debt, financially strong firm. Traditional compensation structure.

Sidley Cons: Not sure how the firm will react to economic downturns (job security). Despite great culture, does not quite match JD from my experience meeting with associates/partners, CB, etc.

Any advice would help greatly!

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day or Sidley (LA)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:08 pm

OP Here: Seems like the consensus is Sidley. I'd appreciate any elaboration anyone is willing to give. Are the reasons for Sidley independent of JD's comp structure or is that the sticking point? Would JD be the choice if they had a more lock step comp structure?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:59 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here: Seems like the consensus is Sidley. I'd appreciate any elaboration anyone is willing to give. Are the reasons for Sidley independent of JD's comp structure or is that the sticking point? Would JD be the choice if they had a more lock step comp structure?

Bump. Last time, I promise. Anyone willing to give their 2 cents?

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Visited Sidley LA office. It's a firm that's growing in the region, and excellent culture. Despite your impressions, I don't think Jones Day has a great culture. Profits for partners are low, and they pay below market.

Return to “Legal Employment�