Is it okay to email a thank you to some but not others?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it okay to email a thank you to some but not others?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:39 pm

I had a CB and I wanted to email a thank you to one of the partners. I know its preferable to not email thank yous post-callback on here, but he wasn't originally supposed to interview me but I requested for recruiting to let me interview with him. So I want to thank him for his time (it was a good 40 minute interview). Is it okay if I email a thank you to him and not the others I met with? My other interviews were with 2 lawyers each and it was more behavioral interviewing. Do they discuss these thank you emails amongst each other? I'd hate to have some find out that I only thanked one partner and then think I didn't enjoy my time with the rest.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Is it okay to email a thank you to some but not others?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Don't send any thank yous. Problem solved.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 pm

While not sending is always better, understanding that this is a different circumstance I think it's appropriate to only send a note to the one person. If you do, I'd throw in a "please extend my thanks to the rest of your colleagues that i met with as well" to cover your ass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:35 pm

What is bad about sending thank you notes? If you keep them short and error-free, wouldn't they find it okay?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is bad about sending thank you notes? If you keep them short and error-free, wouldn't they find it okay?

Nothing bad about sending thank you notes. I would make sure to either send to everyone you interviewed with at the firm, or send them to no one though.

And get some nice Crane stationary/the like.

People today are lazy. No thank you notes, and business casual or casual for everything. Civilization is on the brink of collapse.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is bad about sending thank you notes? If you keep them short and error-free, wouldn't they find it okay?

It's almost certainly not going to help you, and there is a better than average chance it hurts you through unintentional errors.

Paul Campos

Silver

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Serious question: When did this thank you note to interviewers thing get going? When I was a law student (30 years ago admittedly) sending a thank you note to an interviewer would have been considered bizarrely over the top. And are people doing this for screeners too, or only call backs?

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Paul Campos wrote:Serious question: When did this thank you note to interviewers thing get going? When I was a law student (30 years ago admittedly) sending a thank you note to an interviewer would have been considered bizarrely over the top. And are people doing this for screeners too, or only call backs?

Have you met TLS?

Being randomly spazzy for no good reason is like our whole thing

"Are you guys doing this for screeners too?" Lol, come on bro. Of course we are.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:26 pm

To be fair, an interviewer from Locke Lord spoke at a panel at my school and said that she is offended if she doesn't receive thank-you letters and expects them. This is like one of the Texas markets. I didn't send any thank-you letters and did fine, but I was only NYC.

Return to “Legal Employment�