Timing of summer at NYC Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Timing of summer at NYC Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi all - non-American 2L here, thinking about taking an offer at a NYC Biglaw firm. Could someone tell me what the dates are for summer - mainly, are they consistent across firms? Do they vary from 10 weeks to 12 weeks? Does anyone know exact dates for summer 2017?
Thanks in advance.

arisboddle

New

Re: Timing of summer at NYC Biglaw

Postby arisboddle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:54 pm

in america summer starts around the so called "summer solstice" (june 21, 2017) and ends with the fall equinox (September 22, 2017).

In america we have a search engine called Google that helps with these kinds of inane, basic questions.

If, however, you're asking about how long the summer program at your firm will be, the answer is that those will be dependent on the specific FIRM you are WORKING FOR because they don't all follow ONE CALENDAR. It'll start sometime in May and end sometime in August, usually lasting 10-12 weeks.

gilbert33

New

Postby gilbert33 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:59 pm

LOL!
Y u so mad at me bruh
Many places have a standard summer for students, the dates of which every firm follows. Obviously that isn't the case for NYC, which I guess is why that wonderful american search engine you mention couldn't give me a direct answer.
Hope your day gets better... welcome to murica i guess lol

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:23 pm

arisboddle wrote:in america summer starts around the so called "summer solstice" (june 21, 2017) and ends with the fall equinox (September 22, 2017).

In america we have a search engine called Google that helps with these kinds of inane, basic questions.

If, however, you're asking about how long the summer program at your firm will be, the answer is that those will be dependent on the specific FIRM you are WORKING FOR because they don't all follow ONE CALENDAR. It'll start sometime in May and end sometime in August, usually lasting 10-12 weeks.

Did you really join two years ago and post 13 times to answer this (reasonable) question in such a dickhead manner?

OP, most firms will start mid to late May and end mid to late July. The programs vary from 8-12 weeks. It's always possible you are at an outlier firm and start/end later, but that's the general schedule. They also might make individualized exceptions. For example, at my firm summer associates from Chicago, Stanford and other schools with quarter systems started later and were allowed to work after the "official" program ended.

Asking the anticipated dates of the summer program is perfectly appropriate question to ask the firm when weighing offers (but shouldn't really be a factor in your decision).

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Most firms have a couple of start dates so there will probably be one on either or both of May 15 and 22nd and then another on May 30th. You will be able to express a preference but won't find out for sure until late winter/early spring. If you go to Stanford or Chicago or have extenuating circumstances there will probably be an additional June 5th or 12th option depending on when your quarter ends.

I'd expect your end date to be July 30th or August 4th - i don't think any of the large NY firms typically run 2 weeks into August.

E - didn't mean to almost entirely duplicate the post above

gilbert33

New

Postby gilbert33 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Thank you both, really helpful!

FedFan123

New

Postby FedFan123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:25 pm

arisboddle wrote:in america summer starts around the so called "summer solstice" (june 21, 2017) and ends with the fall equinox (September 22, 2017).

My god you are a piece of shit.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:31 pm

FedFan123 wrote:

My god you are a piece of shit.

LOL, def one of the biggest assholes I've come across on here in a while.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:32 pm

gilbert33 wrote:LOL!
Y u so mad at me bruh
Many places have a standard summer for students, the dates of which every firm follows. Obviously that isn't the case for NYC, which I guess is why that wonderful american search engine you mention couldn't give me a direct answer.
Hope your day gets better... welcome to murica i guess lol

Haha. You're awesome Gilbert! I admire you being kind and funny in your response to this asshole. Congrats on getting an offer and good luck :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arisboddle

New

Postby arisboddle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:42 pm

everyone upset with my tone, i'm guessing, is not yet in the workforce. it's an inane question that deserves ridicule.

In short: no u.

FedFan123

New

Postby FedFan123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 pm

arisboddle wrote:everyone upset with my tone, i'm guessing, is not yet in the workforce. it's an inane question that deserves ridicule.

In short: no u.

Your attempt to be funny while also being a dick completely bombed worse than Ann Coulter at the Comedy Central Roast. It was obvious that he meant the dates of summer programs and not the dates of summer itself. Also, it was a perfectly reasonable question as there are a couple of "normal" periods for which most of the summer programs run, and then plenty of slight variation with other firms.

You should just call it quits and try to either a. be funnier, b. be less of a dick, or c. (probably your best bet) be quiet.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:01 pm

is brut bck?

arisboddle

New

Postby arisboddle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:08 pm

speak for yourself, son.

i laughed.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Don't troll.

Return to “Legal Employment�