3rd Year Associate Fork in the Road Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3rd Year Associate Fork in the Road

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:35 am

Which to choose, which to choose.

I didn't intend on leaving my current biglaw position but I picked up a recruiter call one random day and found a few options palatable and had successful interviews.

#1: Stay at current position in V100 satellite office?: Secondary market with Cravath salary match, doing what I like. Great firm though practice group hasn't been an ideal fit. Unlikely to make partner despite excellent reviews. Client base conflicts me out of most local laterals.

#2: Accept offer in major market in a V100 satellite office?: Cravath salary match, staying in the same practice area with opportunity to branch into a niche my current firm does not offer. Not quite the same national reputation as firm #1 though equal reputation in the practice area. Partnership chances unknown but exposure to more varied clientele.

#3: Accept offer in V200 regional player?: Pay cut. Move to new smallish city. Sole associate working for two partners looking to pass off their solid books once fully groomed. Same practice area.

To the extent I remain anonymous, questions are welcome.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: 3rd Year Associate Fork in the Road

Post by Tanicius » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 am

Option 3 would seem to carry more risk than 2. The two partners that run the place at option 3 say they want to pass you down the books, but you never know. It practically seems too good to be true. How much can you trust them to actually do this, and to do it for you instead of someone else? Any idea if they're good people to work with? Cause you'll probably be stuck with these guys if they turn out to be total slave-driving assholes. In general, it's hard to move back up from a lower "tier" of firm after going down a rung, no? Lifestyle is obviously something big -- do you know if your hours stay the same at the new firm?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: 3rd Year Associate Fork in the Road

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:07 am

I don't really see the value in #2.

#3 might be worthwhile if making partner is your goal. I would be skeptical, though. 3rd year to partner is a long way. If things don't work out for any number of reasons, it sounds like you may have limited your options for your next move.

If it were me, I would stay put, unless you want to move cities independently of the job options.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”