Help: Semi-Successful MM Response Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help: Semi-Successful MM Response

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:24 am

Got a letter today from a firm I mass mailed... I was surprised to read that the letter says they want to interview me, BUT, I'll have to pay my own way.

FURTHERMORE,

This firm is in a very remote are (secondary market, think detroit), and I have no ties there [live in CA].... Do I even bother going? Plane tickets are $600 and up

Btw I am desperate for an SA and have struck out at OCI, so I am happy to have received this letter, just want some TLS advice.

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Re: Help: Semi-Successful MM Response

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a letter today from a firm I mass mailed... I was surprised to read that the letter says they want to interview me, BUT, I'll have to pay my own way.

FURTHERMORE,

This firm is in a very remote are (secondary market, think detroit), and I have no ties there [live in CA].... Do I even bother going? Plane tickets are $600 and up

Btw I am desperate for an SA and have struck out at OCI, so I am happy to have received this letter, just want some TLS advice.

Thanks!!
May be difficult to get past that market's tie sensitivity - I don't know much about you and how many ties you have to this secondary market, but I would hesitate. Even big markets like Texas look for strong ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:08 am

Would you ever consider just lying? Lying about someone living there, lying about having visited there multiple times?
Also, didn't say I had any ties in my application; but seems like they didn't care?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would you ever consider just lying? Lying about someone living there, lying about having visited there multiple times?
Also, didn't say I had any ties in my application; but seems like they didn't care?
Probably not worth it because when they ask "oh where have you been?" or "where is your family?" or "what did you like best?" you're going to come off as inauthentic and fake and this will shoot you in the foot faster than having no ties. Be honest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:56 am

If it makes you feel better, I was asked to pay my own flight to an SA interview. Then (after I was dinged) sent a nalp form (not nalp firm) to process a reimbursement. They eventually paid 6 mo later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”