US BigLaw Firms in Asian offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

US BigLaw Firms in Asian offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:06 am

Are they any more or less difficult to get out of school than US offices?
Do you take a local bar exam, a US state bar exam, none of the above?
Do they really pay 30-100k above NY market?

Anonymous User

Re: US BigLaw Firms in Asian offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:58 am

Associate at US biglaw firm's Hong Kong office here.

Generally harder to get straight out of law school because the summer classes are really small, if they exist at all. If you have language skills and decent U.S. experience (at peer firms of wherever you are looking to lateral) not too difficult to move a few years down the road.

Different rules for different firms, but don't have to take local bar exam. You do need to be US qualified, often in a state where the firm has a U.S. office.

Cost of living adjustment varies by firm, but most of the top shops pay 65K to 95K plus NY market salary.

TheatreofDreams

New

Postby TheatreofDreams » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Associate at US biglaw firm's Hong Kong office here.

Generally harder to get straight out of law school because the summer classes are really small, if they exist at all. If you have language skills and decent U.S. experience (at peer firms of wherever you are looking to lateral) not too difficult to move a few years down the road.

Different rules for different firms, but don't have to take local bar exam. You do need to be US qualified, often in a state where the firm has a U.S. office.

Cost of living adjustment varies by firm, but most of the top shops pay 65K to 95K plus NY market salary.

Just wanted to ask you a follow up question here. I turned down a magic circle offer to join a NY firm with no international office. Do you think it is possible to one day get on the more international side by lateraling? My thought was that being at NY firm and practicing strictly NY law, would allow me to become skilled in the areas that the Magic Circle firms would want me to have anyways.

Hoping that I made the right choice...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:14 am

I'm guessing it is nearly all M&A work?
Do they ever hire for other specialities? IE Tech Trans work?

Return to “Legal Employment�