Offer revoked

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lurklaw

Silver

Re: Offer revoked

Postby lurklaw » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lurklaw wrote:No one would hold it against OP for outing this POS firm. Give me af break, you geeks. You really think the firm would double down and retaliate? That's the worst thing it could do.

half of me agrees with you; the other half says its a small world and its not worth the risk.

The risk belongs with the firm, not the OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:50 pm

lurklaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lurklaw wrote:No one would hold it against OP for outing this POS firm. Give me af break, you geeks. You really think the firm would double down and retaliate? That's the worst thing it could do.

half of me agrees with you; the other half says its a small world and its not worth the risk.

no way, man. who tf knows how well known that hiring partner is. it's very possible that something like this could burn a LOT of bridges for OP.

lurklaw

Silver

Postby lurklaw » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lurklaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

no way, man. who tf knows how well known that hiring partner is. it's very possible that something like this could burn a LOT of bridges for OP.

And what's that hiring partner going to do? Smear OP's reputation for divulging a truthful account of his firm's sewage? They'd take it on the chin because that's all they can do.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:58 am

lurklaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lurklaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

And what's that hiring partner going to do? Smear OP's reputation for divulging a truthful account of his firm's sewage? They'd take it on the chin because that's all they can do.

Yes?

They can certainly do a lot more than take it on a chin. I bet you the hiring partner's word carries a lot more weight than OP's in that legal community. It's usually a smart move not to publicly burn bridges, especially in smaller markets.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:58 am

What if said hiring partner or others on hiring committee to op's new firm? This is one of many very real possibilities that could burn op. Too much risk, not enough reward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:21 am

the hiring partner probably has tons of connections in the market. hit him up and ask if he can introduce you to anybody. I'm sure he feels bad about it - leverage that to get another job.

shock259

Gold

Postby shock259 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:56 pm

I think most people here are seriously overestimating 1) the number of people in the legal market that would truly care or be outraged by this kind of conduct and 2) the degree to which the firm will care about being outed. To be depressingly realistic, I seriously doubt anyone in the legal community is going to be talking about this even if OP posts about it on Above the Law, puts up flyers around town about it, etc. And the firm surely had thought at least for a second about the possibility of blowback for this but decided it was worth it. As another poster said, they'll have 2Ls lining up next year regardless.

So, do whatever you like OP. Personally, I'd sit on it and use it as motivation to go out there and kick more ass somewhere else. Very sorry for the circumstances, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Don't out the firm. I like the poster's advice about trying to guilt the hiring partner into helping make some introductions. Something like, we couldn't hire him this year but he performed fantastically and everyone really like him. Tell the hiring partner you came to interview at your own cost, and neglected to pursue opportunities upon hearing you received an offer.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:57 am

I had something similar happen to me a few years back but on a much bigger scale. OP, you have to be wise about this. The way you handle yourself now will have a lasting impact in your life. Your goal now is to maximize your chances at getting a job, not revenge. There is time for revenge but that time is not now.

Tell the partner you really appreciated his time interviewing you and considering you. Tell him you really looked forward to working with him but that you understand circumstances change and firms have to make difficult business decisions. Then ask him because you had already declined other offers and interviews before offer being revoked, if he would be open to introducing you to another firm he thinks might be a good fit for you.

This approach is hard because you have to be the bigger person but it is effective in impressing the partner w your temperment and maturity and leveraging his power for your benefit. If he doesnt even help you then consider yourself blessed having dodged a bullet. You would have been miserable working for someone like that. The fact is he canceled the offer and you cant go back to working at his firm. ever. You will resent it even if you got the offer back. But it isnt about him. Fuck this guy. This is about your immediate goal of getting a job. You can do the revenge later after you find a job.

Return to “Legal Employment�