2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327342
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:58 pm

had 30 interviews, dinged from all except 3 which I am waiting on to hear about a CB. Needless to say, I dont think I'll have a firm job for my summer..

Do I do a judicial externship for the summer? Would firms view that as good WE?

Basically looking for advice for someone who wants to work in a mid/large firm, but has unfortunately failed at OCI. What summer job will best propel me into post-grad firm job positions? I've been so set on a firm job my entire life that I have no idea what the other options are.

californiauser

Silver
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby californiauser » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:07 pm

School range? Grades? Are you interested in lit or corp?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327342
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:49 am

A judicial internship or externship (or any other summer job that will not lead to post-graduate employment) should be a last resort. It's September. It's not last resort time yet. Judicial summer hiring won't start until Jan/Feb at the earliest.

You should be mass mailing private firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327342
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:00 pm

californiauser wrote:School range? Grades? Are you interested in lit or corp?


School is T14; Interested in lit.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A judicial internship or externship (or any other summer job that will not lead to post-graduate employment) should be a last resort. It's September. It's not last resort time yet. Judicial summer hiring won't start until Jan/Feb at the earliest.

You should be mass mailing private firms.

Agree with this entirely. Many small/regional firms don't follow the OCI schedule and won't hire till later. And you don't need to pin down a judicial internship yet. (FWIW, I know people who got biglaw after striking out and doing a judicial internship 2L summer, but they clerked after graduation.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 327342
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:05 pm

Check out the summer programs at large well known government agencies like the DOJ and SEC. the work can be very interesting and it can position you for locking down a job with a private firm after. Landed a job with a large firm during 3L year (outside of oci) after following the path above.

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had 30 interviews, dinged from all except 3 which I am waiting on to hear about a CB. Needless to say, I dont think I'll have a firm job for my summer..

Do I do a judicial externship for the summer? Would firms view that as good WE?

Basically looking for advice for someone who wants to work in a mid/large firm, but has unfortunately failed at OCI. What summer job will best propel me into post-grad firm job positions? I've been so set on a firm job my entire life that I have no idea what the other options are.


To echo the advice above, it is definitely not too late to get a firm job although the odds are decreasing. Keep hustling. Send out applications to every firm you'd consider working for. Start with Vault, then move into the Am Law 250. Plenty of midlaw firms do not hire on the expedited NYC Biglaw timeline.

If you're interested in lit, I'd getting cracking on post-grad Article III clerkships which may give you and alternate path into Biglaw after if you strike-out this season.

Good luck.

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:31 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:had 30 interviews, dinged from all except 3 which I am waiting on to hear about a CB. Needless to say, I dont think I'll have a firm job for my summer..

Do I do a judicial externship for the summer? Would firms view that as good WE?

Basically looking for advice for someone who wants to work in a mid/large firm, but has unfortunately failed at OCI. What summer job will best propel me into post-grad firm job positions? I've been so set on a firm job my entire life that I have no idea what the other options are.


To echo the advice above, it is definitely not too late to get a firm job although the odds are decreasing. Keep hustling. Send out applications to every firm you'd consider working for. Start with Vault, then move into the Am Law 250. Plenty of midlaw firms do not hire on the expedited NYC Biglaw timeline.

If you're interested in lit, I'd getting cracking on post-grad Article III clerkships which may give you and alternate path into Biglaw after if you strike-out this season.

Good luck.


ETA: like was said above, if you're interested in lit, definitely look into the prestigious Big gov programs before doing a summer judicial externship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327342
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had 30 interviews, dinged from all except 3 which I am waiting on to hear about a CB. Needless to say, I dont think I'll have a firm job for my summer..

Do I do a judicial externship for the summer? Would firms view that as good WE?

Basically looking for advice for someone who wants to work in a mid/large firm, but has unfortunately failed at OCI. What summer job will best propel me into post-grad firm job positions? I've been so set on a firm job my entire life that I have no idea what the other options are.


I got my offer from my 2L mid-sized firm in a secondary market in MARCH. You aren't even close to the point where you should be giving up on private firms. Mass-mail & network your ass off. Schedule meetings over Christmas break with every attorney who will give you the time of day.

Time to hustle man.

User avatar
EtDonaFerentes

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby EtDonaFerentes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You aren't even close to the point where you should be giving up on private firms. Mass-mail & network your ass off. Schedule meetings over Christmas break with every attorney who will give you the time of day.


This is sound advice. Take it to heart, OP, and keep on hustling. You should also get well acquainted with your school's Career Services office (if you are not already); go in, talk to the counselors, develop a plan of attack, check in regularly to see if new firm SA opportunities are in the pipeline, etc. Among other things, Career Services can provide helpful information with respect to movement(s) in firm SA hiring and targeting, timing, and tone for your mass-mailing and networking efforts. You should also regularly check your school's online job search platform (e.g., Symplicity) for new postings.

Keep at it, and be tenacious!

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2L SA Strikeout -- Judicial Externship for summer?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Any employer that gives you the option of returning full time is preferable to a judicial externship/internship.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.