trying to avoid switching firms after SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

trying to avoid switching firms after SA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Hey all,

I am trying to move to a new market after graduation. I was an SA and received an offer at a V25 in a major market, and have made my interest in transferring my offer to the firm's office in that new market clear. I also have an interview at another firm in the new market that I secured through mass-mail. My question is this: is there any way to communicate this to my original firm without sounding like a jerk/like I'm threatening to leave if they don't agree to let me move? Feeling very weird/guilty. Thanks for any help!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: trying to avoid switching firms after SA

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Wait until you have an offer at another firm in your target matter. When/if that happens, contact your summer firm and press the issue.

There's no reason to feel weird or guilty about any of this.

Anonymous User

Re: trying to avoid switching firms after SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks for the response. Wanted to give an update/ask for a little more advice if anyone wants to chime in.

The interview with the firm at the new market lead to a callback. All signs point to this very likely converting into an offer (especially considering that it involves me flying coast-to-coast, and from what I've heard from others inside the firm). I have not yet told anyone at my original firm that I have actively been searching for other firms as a backup if they don't transfer my offer. Is this callback invitation enough to use as leverage? If so, does anyone have any advice on how to bring up the subject?

Also, the firm that offered me the callback is a major competitor of my firm in Market 2.

runinthefront

Gold

Post removed...

Postby runinthefront » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Post removed...

Return to “Legal Employment�