Midlaw vs. Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Midlaw vs. Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Hey TLS,

Im a rising 2L at MVP that is considering a midlaw offer that has a strong VC practice group in its market (Cincy) vs. a V50 biglaw offer in Orange County.

I want to practice VC law, and will probably try for WSGR/Cooley/Fenwick/Gunderson again next summer. But I dont have high hopes given that 3L application process is much more competitive. Would it be dumb to turn down the biglaw offer given that the only reason I want to go to a law firm is to practice VC law? Otherwise I would much prefer to go in-house. In-house options at the midlaw firm seem to be pretty good; startups + various F500 companies based in Cincy are clients (Proctor&Gamble, Macys, GE Global, the Bengals etc.)

bk1

Diamond

Re: Midlaw vs. Biglaw

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:01 pm

How do you feel about living in Ohio vs California? What does the V50 office do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:07 pm

I prefer Cali and would try to move back in a few years either to a CA firm with a VC practice or inhouse at a startup/corp.

I would be doing general corp stuff at the Biglaw firm. Mainly M&A. I'm not really cut out to work dem biglaw hours though haha.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:05 pm

I'd go biglaw. Much easier to lateral when you start at a recognized name. Plus M&A is good generalist experience that you'll be able to spin.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I prefer Cali and would try to move back in a few years either to a CA firm with a VC practice or inhouse at a startup/corp.

I would be doing general corp stuff at the Biglaw firm. Mainly M&A. I'm not really cut out to work dem biglaw hours though haha.
the only difference between biglaw and midlaw is that midlaw pays less. if you're good you'll be worked like a slave in both biglaw and midlaw

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:30 pm

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I prefer Cali and would try to move back in a few years either to a CA firm with a VC practice or inhouse at a startup/corp.

the only difference between biglaw and midlaw is that midlaw pays less. if you're good you'll be worked like a slave in both biglaw and midlaw
Yep. Also, I'd imagine it would be rather difficult to land an in-house gig in California from your regional Ohio midlaw firm.

Look, if your long-term goal was to make a life for yourself in Cincinnati, then the midlaw option would make sense. But it doesn't sound like that's your long-term goal.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Mid sized firm in Cincinnati sounds like a great way to never leave Cincinnati as long as you live.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:14 pm

The advice seems pretty one-sided towards biglaw. What are peoples thoughts on starting a career inhouse? Im planning to apply to some companies that hire straight out of law school, but some of the are non-CA based.

Would it be easier to lateral from an out of state inhouse gig to a related industry in CA than CA biglaw to CA inhouse ?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”