Interested in LLM

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interested in LLM

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Asking for a friend. Friend studied in England, is interested in working biglaw in NY. Wants to know whether getting an LLM helps and which schools to apply to. Any advice greatly appreciated.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Interested in LLM

Postby runinthefront » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Asking for a friend. Friend studied in England, is interested in working biglaw in NY. Wants to know whether getting an LLM helps and which schools to apply to. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Your friend would have much better odds of NY biglaw employment if he/she entered into a JD program at a T-14 law school. Otherwise, an LLM is necessary (i.e., "helps" in the skeletal sense), but the odds of biglaw employment post-completion of almost all LLM programs are still very low.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Last edited by thegrayman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:04 pm

I think tax LLM typically only offers to people with JD degrees, but I could be wrong. I have seen people from Harvard (or very closely tied school, we are talking about T3 or T4) LLM programs getting biglaw jobs, but other than that I would not risk it. JD would be the safe option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:16 pm

OP here. I don't think my friend is interested in Tax LLM. I think he is interested in doing general corporate practice and wouldn't want to be tunneled in the tax specialty. Has anyone heard/have experience with the 2yr JD programs for foreign lawyers? Also, if let's say he's intent on doing an LLM instead of a JD, what are some of the best LLM programs for biglaw? I've heard of Yale and Harvard. Thanks for the responses so far! Been super helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment�