Choosing between two firms & practice areas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose one of each

Latham
20%
Kirkland
27%
Capital Markets
20%
PE
33%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

Choosing between two firms & practice areas

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Can anyone offer some advice on the differences between these firms (from a cultural, hours, or quality perspective) as well as the differences between the practice areas? I have my decision narrowed to these two but need more information. I'd like to base my decision on long term stability (both of the firm and practice), culture, hours, and how interesting the work is - in that order. Both options are in a non-NYC major market.

Firms:
Latham & Watkins
Kirkland & Ellis

Practice Areas:
Capital Markets/M&A
Private Equity/M&A

I realize that with these two firms, the practice area and firm go together. However, if one practice area is obviously better but the firm isn't, I'll reconsider other options.

Anonymous User

Re: Choosing between two firms & practice areas

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone offer some advice on the differences between these firms (from a cultural, hours, or quality perspective) as well as the differences between the practice areas? I have my decision narrowed to these two but need more information. I'd like to base my decision on long term stability (both of the firm and practice), culture, hours, and how interesting the work is - in that order. Both options are in a non-NYC major market.

Firms:
Latham & Watkins
Kirkland & Ellis

Practice Areas:
Capital Markets/M&A
Private Equity/M&A

I realize that with these two firms, the practice area and firm go together. However, if one practice area is obviously better but the firm isn't, I'll reconsider other options.

I am guessing Houston?

Return to “Legal Employment�