2L After an Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L After an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Considering many of us will have accepted an offer before 2L or right in the beginning of 2L, from past experiences, is it a simple year? Aside from classes and writing a note for journals, or maybe externships, I feel significantly less stressed than last year. Is this normal or am I missing something??

sweets91

Silver

Re: 2L After an Offer

Postby sweets91 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Considering many of us will have accepted an offer before 2L or right in the beginning of 2L, from past experiences, is it a simple year? Aside from classes and writing a note for journals, or maybe externships, I feel significantly less stressed than last year. Is this normal or am I missing something??

lmao it's not just you. I definitely have a lot more free time (plus I didn't do journal, so yay)

I think if you're interested in clerkships, though, your grades still matter a lot

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm with you in that I have lost most of my motivation now that I have secured an offer, and it's actually really frustrating. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth anymore.

Anyone know what kind of grades firms expect us to maintain?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm with you in that I have lost most of my motivation now that I have secured an offer, and it's actually really frustrating. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth anymore.

They are expecting you to maintain a similar GPA you had when hired.

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm with you in that I have lost most of my motivation now that I have secured an offer, and it's actually really frustrating. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth anymore.

Hah. Just wait for 3L when you have a post-grad offer and are still paying in tuition and sitting in meaningless classes.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:58 pm

You are allowed to relax.. Good grades should be easier to come by.. And you aren't wasting any money - you paid the money to secure a job, anything else is gravy. Enjoy the year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They are expecting you to maintain a similar GPA you had when hired.

Ok but like within what margin? If I'm top 15% now is it OK if I'm too third at the end of 2L?

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Postby CaptainJapan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They are expecting you to maintain a similar GPA you had when hired.

lol

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Go for Latin

Kratos

Platinum

Postby Kratos » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:19 pm

I thought 2L was worse than 1L in a lot of ways

Rule104(a)

New

Postby Rule104(a) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Considering many of us will have accepted an offer before 2L or right in the beginning of 2L, from past experiences, is it a simple year? Aside from classes and writing a note for journals, or maybe externships, I feel significantly less stressed than last year. Is this normal or am I missing something??

As a 3L that just accepted a post-grad offer after my summer, I feel exactly the same way.

I also have lost much of my motivation to prepare for class and do tasks for law review, because what's the point?

I keep trying to scare myself into getting more work done, but nothing has been effective thus far.

Rule104(a)

New

Postby Rule104(a) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They are expecting you to maintain a similar GPA you had when hired.

Ok but like within what margin? If I'm top 15% now is it OK if I'm too third at the end of 2L?

Depends on how grade snobby the office is, but you're likely fine. Especially if you do good work and they like you.

accessislife

Bronze

Postby accessislife » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Kratos wrote:I thought 2L was worse than 1L in a lot of ways

why?

Kratos

Platinum

Postby Kratos » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:25 am

accessislife wrote:

why?

I feel like when you arrive 1L, there is like excitement of meeting new people and starting a new thing in your life and like optimism about your career trajectory. that all numbs how shitty law school is for awhile. plus a lot of the first semester is like figuring out what the law is on a broad level and how to conceptualize it generally, so that also keeps you preoccupied from realizing that everything youre studying is fucking stupid. then that's over, you go on a nice vacay doing whatever bullshit summer work you do. then you come back and start OCI, which imo is the absolute shittiest part of law school. by the time 2L starts, all that optimism, excitement, etc. is now gone, ime it was replaced with impatience that I had two more years of this shit. then it's just the same old bullshit, plus more journal work and moot court and whatever other stupid shit extracurriculars you do. I didn't realize how much I despised law school until 2L, and by that time I felt like it was too late to quit.

oh and I was super broke 2L which really sucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:05 am

cannibal ox wrote:

Hah. Just wait for 3L when you have a post-grad offer and are still paying in tuition and sitting in meaningless classes.

This. I'm one of the people who pulled an offer from my 1L summer, so it was two years of simultaneous, conflicting emotions: excitement / motivation to graduate + utter apathy about course content and grades. Nothing provides a more stark acknowledgement of how worthless law school is for being a good lawyer than the fact that real lawyers are willing to hire a student who is only 1/3rds or 2/3rds of the way through school. I ended up skipping a lot of classes and reading a lot of outlines instead of the assigned cases. Worked out fine, but I did have two professors dock me for attendance, one of whom threatened to drop me from the course.

So it was kind of a curse as much as a blessing. The one thing I liked about it is that I didn't feel the need to pursue any extracurriculars like journal or moot court.

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:So it was kind of a curse as much as a blessing. The one thing I liked about it is that I didn't feel the need to pursue any extracurriculars like journal or moot court.

Understood, but should you want (or need) to lateral, all those factors will (or can) come into play. An offer doesn’t necessarily translate to set-for-life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:39 pm

As a 2L, I'm just now noticing how pointless so many classes are...

Anyone feel like this? I'm in a class this morning, and 60 minutes of the 90 minute class is a back-and-forth ''what are some policy considerations for the rule?..... Against?....''

Not learning rules or anything; just large policy debates that are meaningless.

In criminal procedure, we literally spend over half the class talking about broad overarching criminal justice things, like ''how can we reduce racism in criminal justice system?'' which leads to a 30 minute conversation of policy.

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm surprised it took you until 2L to realize that, but then again all those people participating in the discussions you mentioned obviously haven't realized it yet, so you're not the last one.

kingpin101

Bronze

Postby kingpin101 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:00 pm

I mean yeah of course you're gonna waste a lot of time on policy. Otherwise, classes would last like 4 weeks and then law schools wouldn't get as much of that sweet, sweet tuition.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a 2L, I'm just now noticing how pointless so many classes are...

Anyone feel like this? I'm in a class this morning, and 60 minutes of the 90 minute class is a back-and-forth ''what are some policy considerations for the rule?..... Against?....''

Not learning rules or anything; just large policy debates that are meaningless.

In criminal procedure, we literally spend over half the class talking about broad overarching criminal justice things, like ''how can we reduce racism in criminal justice system?'' which leads to a 30 minute conversation of policy.

Did the professor say that there will be a policy question on the exam? If not, sounds like the perfect time to catch up on Netflix.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Toni V wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So it was kind of a curse as much as a blessing. The one thing I liked about it is that I didn't feel the need to pursue any extracurriculars like journal or moot court.

Understood, but should you want (or need) to lateral, all those factors will (or can) come into play. An offer doesn’t necessarily translate to set-for-life.

I like to live dangerously. Or else it's basic math

job - risks > fucks given about law school classes

(Quoted anon here.)

unsweetened

Silver

Postby unsweetened » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Kratos wrote:
accessislife wrote:

why?

I feel like when you arrive 1L, there is like excitement of meeting new people and starting a new thing in your life and like optimism about your career trajectory. that all numbs how shitty law school is for awhile. plus a lot of the first semester is like figuring out what the law is on a broad level and how to conceptualize it generally, so that also keeps you preoccupied from realizing that everything youre studying is fucking stupid. then that's over, you go on a nice vacay doing whatever bullshit summer work you do. then you come back and start OCI, which imo is the absolute shittiest part of law school. by the time 2L starts, all that optimism, excitement, etc. is now gone, ime it was replaced with impatience that I had two more years of this shit. then it's just the same old bullshit, plus more journal work and moot court and whatever other stupid shit extracurriculars you do. I didn't realize how much I despised law school until 2L, and by that time I felt like it was too late to quit.

oh and I was super broke 2L which really sucked.

agree 100%

Return to “Legal Employment?