What are the advantages of SLIP over a normal internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
omegaweapon

Bronze

What are the advantages of SLIP over a normal internship?

Postby omegaweapon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:44 pm

If you come from a school that funds public interest employment, are there any real differences between getting into the SLIP program, and just doing a volunteer internship, which seems easier? The money is the same either way, just from a different source.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: What are the advantages of SLIP over a normal internship?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:03 pm

SLIP provides the possibility of getting a funnel offer, or a permanent post-grad offer. Admittedly they are by no means guaranteed - not all components even have them and the ones that do don't offer everyone by any means - but they're possible. I'm pretty sure that a standard volunteer internship doesn't have that possibility. (There may well also be SLIP-specific programming, but that I don't know about.)

nealric

Re: What are the advantages of SLIP over a normal internship?

Postby nealric » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:58 pm

omegaweapon wrote:If you come from a school that funds public interest employment, are there any real differences between getting into the SLIP program, and just doing a volunteer internship, which seems easier? The money is the same either way, just from a different source.

I did SLIP after my 3l summer (before firm start date). They didn't do any funnel offers my year (budget cuts), but it was still in the immediate recession aftermath. I did get to travel for a deposition with one of the attorneys. Got to see Eric Holder speak at a closed DOJ meeting. Nice experience overall given that I wasn't depending on the DOJ for a job.They also paid me the same as a first year attorney (since I had graduated). I don't think public interest funding would pay as well.

I think the original idea for SLIP was to be an answer to firm 2L recruiting. Unfortunately, I don't think it quite lives up to that.

Return to “Legal Employment�