Let's talk honigman.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Look at Jones Day/Foley Lardner/Pepper Hamilton first and then look at Honigman second.

If you have a large amount of debt also realize that in the first year going to Honigman pays you roughly 40k a year less after taxes versus going to Chicago.

Honigman is going up to 150k in January so it's actually not that much less

Damn, is this confirmed??? Why wouldn't they mention this during OCI...could've been huge. If Honigman is at 150k, I'd look at them before the others if I wanted to be in MI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Look at Jones Day/Foley Lardner/Pepper Hamilton first and then look at Honigman second.

If you have a large amount of debt also realize that in the first year going to Honigman pays you roughly 40k a year less after taxes versus going to Chicago.

Would love to know if this is confirmed/source. I'm summering there this coming summer and I haven't heard anything regarding a possible raise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would love to know if this is confirmed/source. I'm summering there this coming summer and I haven't heard anything regarding a possible raise.

I'm also curious about this. Can anyone confirm Honigman will be going to 150k?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm the anon who asked about this initially. Still not totally verified, but interesting. That's pretty huge in Detroit if true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bueller?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's recent, but confirmed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyone who summered at Honigman that could describe their summer experience?

LS Classmate and my college roommate both summered and work there full time now. They liked it. Seemed like they had a lot of fun. Rough hours but sounds like solid work. Pay is decent so I guess it all evens out. Honogman isn't the top pay in town, that goes to Jones day and Foley, but honigman pays the most of any Detroit based firm.

From what I understand, honigman is well respected nationwide ( that is for those familiar with the firm) and it sounded like they had a good client base (I got an offer but went with a different firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if this actually does pan out. Based on their website and what I can recall from the offer, 1st year salary is about 120k or so? Their website says it's between 110-150, based on performance and bringing in a client (as far as what I've been told from present associates.) it seems the jump by 30-40k is a bit extreme. I could see them going to maybe 135, but I'm skeptical of 150k starting from them. They are competing with the Foley and JonesDay for students, but I'm curious if they can financially support that Big of a jump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if this actually does pan out. Based on their website and what I can recall from the offer, 1st year salary is about 120k or so? Their website says it's between 110-150, based on performance and bringing in a client (as far as what I've been told from present associates.) it seems the jump by 30-40k is a bit extreme. I could see them going to maybe 135, but I'm skeptical of 150k starting from them. They are competing with the Foley and JonesDay for students, but I'm curious if they can financially support that Big of a jump

They bumped before Cravath raises last year 110k to 125k which isn't reflected in the salary range numbers. That combined with only 60 associates and blackbox compensation means 150k is definitely doable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Anyone see the Crain's Detroit article on Honigman? What are your thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone see the Crain's Detroit article on Honigman? What are your thoughts?

the article: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -firm-life

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Worrisome to say the least. Otoh, raising associate salaries isn't something failing firms do. So maybe it's really not rainmaker partners leaving, and is just abnormal churn. Hard to say as an outsider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

I agree that this is indeed worrisome. I don't know enough to gauge the impact the departures will have, but as an incoming SA, I am concerned. I do think the info in the article should be taken with a grain of salt though, since the sources used are likely biased on both ends of the spectrum given that they are former Honigman attorneys and the managing partner of the firm.

IMHO It does seem like a positive sign that the firm is trying to adapt to the changing nature of the Detroit market.

Are there any insiders that can comment on this?

Return to “Legal Employment�