Let's talk honigman.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Thoughts?

Summer offer there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:11 pm

+1 in the same boat and also curious

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 am

Big real estate partber just left. Heard ny hours at 2/3 pay. Overall still best mich based firm but by ever decreasing amount. Not a great place to be an associate right now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:46 am

I heard that all the partners there are real hot dogs.

In talking to attorneys at other area firms, they all independently bring up how they are not like Honigman. They just have a stigma. They will definitely work associates harder than other firms in the market. The pay is also better than other firms.

Depends on what you want and on what matters most.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:40 am

I used to work in the Detroit metro area at a different firm and this is definitely true. They pitched to me how they were "different than honigman." With that being said, your success at the firm will largely depend on which group and what partners you work for. I've heard rumors that there are certain positions at certain firms where Alan Dershowitz wouldn't be able to survive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 am

Does anyone have any info regarding what it's actually like to work at honigman? Outside perspectives are only so useful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:00 am

Dinged here :( but the associates and partners I met with at my CB all seemed happy. Not sure what there is to take away from that, but they seemed happier than a lot of other firms I've visited.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Is there anyone who summered at Honigman that could describe their summer experience?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:46 pm

I know someone who summered there a few years ago and got no-offered, along with several others in his class. I think their offer rate was 70-something percent. Not sure if that is a pattern but something to be cognizant of.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:23 am

Anyone willing to share how many weeks between your callback and offer at Honigman? 4 weeks today since callback, sent email expressing continued interest last week, still no ding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged here :( but the associates and partners I met with at my CB all seemed happy. Not sure what there is to take away from that, but they seemed happier than a lot of other firms I've visited.


Did your ding come via email or snail mail? still waiting...

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone willing to share how many weeks between your callback and offer at Honigman? 4 weeks today since callback, sent email expressing continued interest last week, still no ding.


CB-->offer 2 business days

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinged here :( but the associates and partners I met with at my CB all seemed happy. Not sure what there is to take away from that, but they seemed happier than a lot of other firms I've visited.


Did your ding come via email or snail mail? still waiting...


About two weeks after. If I read correctly you continued to express interest; I'd wonder if you're an "alternate" candidate. And via e-mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinged here :( but the associates and partners I met with at my CB all seemed happy. Not sure what there is to take away from that, but they seemed happier than a lot of other firms I've visited.


Did your ding come via email or snail mail? still waiting...


About two weeks after. If I read correctly you continued to express interest; I'd wonder if you're an "alternate" candidate. And via e-mail.


Just got the ding via email this afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinged here :( but the associates and partners I met with at my CB all seemed happy. Not sure what there is to take away from that, but they seemed happier than a lot of other firms I've visited.


Did your ding come via email or snail mail? still waiting...


About two weeks after. If I read correctly you continued to express interest; I'd wonder if you're an "alternate" candidate. And via e-mail.


Just got the ding via email this afternoon.


Sorry dude. Welcome to the club!

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.


What's your possible raise source? I believe they're at 125k plus 5k signing bonus

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.


What's your possible raise source? I believe they're at 125k plus 5k signing bonus

Friend just finished summer in Detroit office, mentioned a forthcoming raise. I have no way of verifying, so cannot confirm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.


What's your possible raise source? I believe they're at 125k plus 5k signing bonus

Friend just finished summer in Detroit office, mentioned a forthcoming raise. I have no way of verifying, so cannot confirm.


Weird they wouldn't mention this during the OCI process (a raise). Honigman attracts candidates that are probably competitive for NYC/CHI biglaw, but want to practice in MI b/c of ties (so willing to take a paycut). I think the problem is that the paycut Honigman offers is too large compared to the new raises and you're still working Chi hours.With the 180k announcements the gap widened.

Lots of prospects for Honigman (that I know and me personally) REALLY end up considering other MI "biglaw" firms solely b/c they will be paid not that much less and work a lot less.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.


What's your possible raise source? I believe they're at 125k plus 5k signing bonus

Friend just finished summer in Detroit office, mentioned a forthcoming raise. I have no way of verifying, so cannot confirm.


Weird they wouldn't mention this during the OCI process (a raise). Honigman attracts candidates that are probably competitive for NYC/CHI biglaw, but want to practice in MI b/c of ties (so willing to take a paycut). I think the problem is that the paycut Honigman offers is too large compared to the new raises and you're still working Chi hours.With the 180k announcements the gap widened.

Lots of prospects for Honigman (that I know and me personally) REALLY end up considering other MI "biglaw" firms solely b/c they will be paid not that much less and work a lot less.


Especially due to relatively rapid increase in COL in Detroit, i am surprised people are still working there unless they have the family/other detroit ties. i paid less for my studio in Chicago this past summer than people i know pay for similar spaces (maybe a little bigger) in Detroit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.


What's your possible raise source? I believe they're at 125k plus 5k signing bonus

Friend just finished summer in Detroit office, mentioned a forthcoming raise. I have no way of verifying, so cannot confirm.


Weird they wouldn't mention this during the OCI process (a raise). Honigman attracts candidates that are probably competitive for NYC/CHI biglaw, but want to practice in MI b/c of ties (so willing to take a paycut). I think the problem is that the paycut Honigman offers is too large compared to the new raises and you're still working Chi hours.With the 180k announcements the gap widened.

Lots of prospects for Honigman (that I know and me personally) REALLY end up considering other MI "biglaw" firms solely b/c they will be paid not that much less and work a lot less.


Especially due to relatively rapid increase in COL in Detroit, i am surprised people are still working there unless they have the family/other detroit ties. i paid less for my studio in Chicago this past summer than people i know pay for similar spaces (maybe a little bigger) in Detroit.


All of the "Honigman = chi hours" comments come from outside the firm. All of the associates I know who work there have reasonable hours relative to the other firms in the area. Honigman also has a strong, established client base and considers you for nonequity partnership after 4 years. Plus shake shack is moving into their building so there's also that.

It seems like the other Detroit firms get off on branding themselves as "not Honigman". It was actually pretty off putting to hear during CBs tbh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honigman did not raise salaries commiserate with the Cravath raises despite a 1:1 Associate to partner ratio and 800k+ PPP.

They pay 35K a year less than Foley Lardner, Jones Day, and Pepper Hamilton and associates work hundreds more hours.

I heard talk of a raise recently... how much are they at? Obviously they're not going to pay NYC salaries, that would be ridiculous in Michigan.


What's your possible raise source? I believe they're at 125k plus 5k signing bonus

Friend just finished summer in Detroit office, mentioned a forthcoming raise. I have no way of verifying, so cannot confirm.


Weird they wouldn't mention this during the OCI process (a raise). Honigman attracts candidates that are probably competitive for NYC/CHI biglaw, but want to practice in MI b/c of ties (so willing to take a paycut). I think the problem is that the paycut Honigman offers is too large compared to the new raises and you're still working Chi hours.With the 180k announcements the gap widened.

Lots of prospects for Honigman (that I know and me personally) REALLY end up considering other MI "biglaw" firms solely b/c they will be paid not that much less and work a lot less.


Especially due to relatively rapid increase in COL in Detroit, i am surprised people are still working there unless they have the family/other detroit ties. i paid less for my studio in Chicago this past summer than people i know pay for similar spaces (maybe a little bigger) in Detroit.


All of the "Honigman = chi hours" comments come from outside the firm. All of the associates I know who work there have reasonable hours relative to the other firms in the area. Honigman also has a strong, established client base and considers you for nonequity partnership after 4 years. Plus shake shack is moving into their building so there's also that.

It seems like the other Detroit firms get off on branding themselves as "not Honigman". It was actually pretty off putting to hear during CBs tbh.


Chi hours comment guy. I'll give you that many of honigman's peers (esp. in Detroit) that play the "we're not Honigman" game are both annoying and honestly a little bit untruthful. The billable req at like DW,CH, etc... are just as much as Honigman tbh. GR firms that pay slightly less than Honigman would IMO have less hours than Honigman (besides one firm).

Honigman's building is a +++; though their offices do need some renovations (which I think they're doing). I can go both ways on the nonequity thing honestly. I would 100% recommend to anyone looking to STAY in MI, AND WORK IN DETROIT to seriously consider Honigman over the other Detroit firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Look at Jones Day/Foley Lardner/Pepper Hamilton first and then look at Honigman second.

If you have a large amount of debt also realize that in the first year going to Honigman pays you roughly 40k a year less after taxes versus going to Chicago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325844
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk honigman.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Look at Jones Day/Foley Lardner/Pepper Hamilton first and then look at Honigman second.

If you have a large amount of debt also realize that in the first year going to Honigman pays you roughly 40k a year less after taxes versus going to Chicago.


Honigman is going up to 150k in January so it's actually not that much less



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.