Small/Midsize firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small/Midsize firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Does anybody have experience with getting a job in a small/midsize firm? Like what grades/work xp do you need to get it??

FTR I'm at a T20. Mainly interested in TX or NYC, but I'll also settle for CA if worst comes to worst.

Sprout

Silver

Re: Small/Midsize firms?

Postby Sprout » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Ime smaller firms hire more of on a need basis. Generally later recruiting and contingent on client need and size capacity etc. mid size is dif. Last year oci I had CBs in NYC at two mid sized firms. They followed the general big law timing except slower. Heard about a month after most of my biglaw peers. Hth

Edit: I'm median at a t20
Second edit: I dk about TX but have heard that's a much harder marker to get into without ties and top grades. Gl

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:32 pm

They care a lot more about ties and your commitment to settling down in that area than large firms do, probably due to their small class size.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:03 pm

We have a grade cutoff (top third at the t20 where we do OCI), but we have hired out of range before. Our last hire was a lottery interview.

Fit and a client-facing personality are keys. Being brilliant is a bonus. Two of our last three associates published in LR, but that's more of a coincidence than anything. I'd put personality, ties, and fit as all basically tied for most important thing.

Return to “Legal Employment�