Comfort level vs prestige?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

People or prestige?

People
68%
Prestige
33%

Total votes: 40

Anonymous User

Comfort level vs prestige?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Torn between 2 firms, one is highly regarded in the city for litigation and one is decent. One has nice people with a huge office, one has people I click with with a small/medium office. Both V100.

Should I go with the people or the prestige?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Comfort level vs prestige?

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:53 pm

this is way too vague for us to be of any use

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:37 pm

What else do you need to know?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:41 pm

How about the names of the firms, your desired practice area, how long you want to stay with the firm and what your longer term professional goals are

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote:How about the names of the firms, your desired practice area, how long you want to stay with the firm and what your longer term professional goals are

Dude one has nice people and the other has people the OP clicks with

Come on bro, stop jerking the OP around and answer the question

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Pretty unsure about practice area or long term goals; I'd like to be with one firm for the long term because I don't really understand why people make themselves miserable for a few years just to end up at a different firm when they could have been at that firm from the beginning. I have a slight interest in white collar so from that perspective the prestige thing might make sense, because I know those government jobs like AUSA are very competitive. Then again, I don't see myself doing that long-term - I'd eventually want to come back to a firm.

The less-prestige firm has more partners than associates and the more prestigious one is highly leveraged, so my partnership chances would seem to be greater at the less prestigious firm while my gov exit options might be better at the more prestigious firm. Am I crazy in thinking that if the end goal is partner (or at least staying at a firm long-term) I should care more about the people/fit than the prestige?

What does prestige even get you if the end goal is to stay somewhere?

Return to “Legal Employment�