International Trade Practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

International Trade Practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:11 pm

As I'm doing callbacks and researching the firms in DC, I saw that some places have an exclusive "International Trade/Customs/Compliance" shop with sub-specialties (sanctions, policy, compliance, etc.). It sounds interesting, but what does the work actually entail? Is it more transactional (advising companies) or litigation (WTO disputes)? Is it a bit of both? Would this be one of those "regulatory" practices, just like energy/financial/etc.?

globetrotter659

New

Re: International Trade Practice?

Postby globetrotter659 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:39 pm

If the firm does antidimping/countervailing duties then it involves representing clients in front of the ITC and Department of Commerce. I can only speak to the ITC, but the work involves representing your client at a hearing to determine whether there has been an injury. Firms either represent petitioners (US companies claiming harm from unfair trade practices) or respondents (foreign or US importers). ITC decisions can be appealed to the International Trade Court and then the Fed Circuit. The work is definitely a mix of administrative law and civil litigation. The work can be very dry at times since the products in question tend to be things like nails and steel tubes. The litigation side can be fun though. If you like economics then then the administrative hearing side can be interesting too.

The ITC also does patent infringement which has fascinating cases but you need a patent background.

From what I've heard, sanctions work is mostly transactional in nature focusing on compliance and helping clients understand sanctions laws.

intlsplitr

Bronze

Postby intlsplitr » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:11 pm

globetrotter659 wrote:
From what I've heard, sanctions work is mostly transactional in nature focusing on compliance and helping clients understand sanctions laws.

I did sanctions work as a summer. It can really be either transactional or admin/litigation. The transaction side is what was stated above. The litigation side (IMO way more fun) is sanctions enforcement/ITAR defense. There is also CFIUS work, which can be either depending on where you are in the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:34 pm

OP here. Thanks for the info! Sounds like a pretty interesting work, but very niche. Would it be a good idea to express an interest in international trade during the interviews or wait until summer?

Return to “Legal Employment�