Did I Blow My Practice Area Question?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Did I Blow My Practice Area Question?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Was asked what my practice rotation would ideally be. I said I'm open to all areas, but really like corporate, but wouldn't mind also doing some litigation work.

Interviewer looks at me with a weird face... pause....

Did I blow it? Mixing corporate with lit?

zot1

Gold

Re: Did I Blow My Practice Area Question?

Postby zot1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Generally firms want you to be solidly for one or the other.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:20 pm

zot1 wrote:Generally firms want you to be solidly for one or the other.

I hedged every CB and it didn't appear to hurt me. Most of my interviewers would respond with something like, "Yeah, I don't know how you would know what you want to do after one year in law school." Post-SA is a different story.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I hedged every CB and it didn't appear to hurt me. Most of my interviewers would respond with something like, "Yeah, I don't know how you would know what you want to do after one year in law school." Post-SA is a different story.

Market?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Postby MurdockLLP » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

There's hedging and there's what OP said. Saying, that you "really like corporate" without any real experience would be a hard sell for anyone. I said that my experience was all in litigation and I think that's where I see myself, but having not done much corporate work I couldn't say for sure. That's when I was met with: "Yeah, I don't know how you would know what you want to do after one year in law school."

Return to “Legal Employment�