Those part-time kids who do two 2L SAs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Those part-time kids who do two 2L SAs

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Let's say you summer as a 2L at firm A May 2015. Because you are part-time, you don't graduate until the winter of 2016. At the end of your summer 2015, does the firm give you an offer to join upon graduation (end of 2016) as a first-year associate, or only an offer to come back to do another 2L summer May 2016 -- and only then, they consider you as a candidate for first-year associate?

Assuming they do give you a permanent offer after the first summer, do they require similar 28 day response? Or, do they allow you to decide after your second summer, i.e. give you an entire year to decide?

You guessed it, I am part time, and my head is really big now.

elendinel

Silver

Re: Those part-time kids who do two 2L SAs

Post by elendinel » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say you summer as a 2L at firm A May 2015. Because you are part-time, you don't graduate until the winter of 2016. At the end of your summer 2015, does the firm give you an offer to join upon graduation (end of 2016) as a first-year associate, or only an offer to come back to do another 2L summer May 2016 -- and only then, they consider you as a candidate for first-year associate?

Assuming they do give you a permanent offer after the first summer, do they require similar 28 day response? Or, do they allow you to decide after your second summer, i.e. give you an entire year to decide?

I can't imagine that any good firm is going to give you an offer a year and a half out from when you're graduating. I think it's even less likely that they give you a whole year to decide, even if they do give you an offer that early; that would make no sense.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say you summer as a 2L at firm A May 2015. Because you are part-time, you don't graduate until the winter of 2016. At the end of your summer 2015, does the firm give you an offer to join upon graduation (end of 2016) as a first-year associate, or only an offer to come back to do another 2L summer May 2016 -- and only then, they consider you as a candidate for first-year associate?

I am a part-time student. Pretty much every firm based how they treated me based on my graduation date (May 2017). I started Fall 2013. I did OCI after my 2nd part-time year and was a summer associate after my 3rd part-time year.

Back to your question though, some of my fellow part-time students are finishing a semester early, and graduating in December 2017, running into the exact timeline you're describing. All of them with summer associate positions just completed them about a month ago, after their 3rd part-time year. A couple of them were summers after their 2nd part-time year. The employers treated it like a 1L summer position and invited them back for the summer next year.

From previous years, I know part-time students who finished their summer associate position expecting to graduate in December and not May. In some cases, the offer from the firm still had a fall start date, because they wanted all their new associates starting at the same time, meaning they had a lot more downtime before their stub year starts. In other cases, they started at the firm once bar results came in.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:01 am

Part-time program grad here - basically our "2L SA" was done the summer before our last year (so last 1-2 semesters), and people who graduated in the winter just had more down time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”