NY: Latham vs Kirkland Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

NY: Latham or Kirkland for Litigation?

Latham & Watkins
58%
Kirkland & Ellis
42%

Total votes: 57

Anonymous User

NY: Latham vs Kirkland

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 07, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: NY: Latham vs Kirkland

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 pm

what does "#1 for litigation" mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Definitely Latham.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:35 pm

You really can't go wrong to be honest, but if litigation is your focus--it makes more sense to go with Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:what does "#1 for litigation" mean?
That was vague. I meant that I know they were recently ranked #1 by Law360 in litigation powerhouse rankings. They also have been ranked highly for lit by other ranking systems as well--I guess I just meant that I know their lit dept is bangin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely Latham.
If you happen to check this thread again, could you elaborate why? People's reasonings would be really helpful to me. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:You really can't go wrong to be honest, but if litigation is your focus--it makes more sense to go with Kirkland.
Thanks for your input. I am just worried about associate life and work/life balance. I've heard terrible things about Kirkland when it comes to that, so that's really my hesitation.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You really can't go wrong to be honest, but if litigation is your focus--it makes more sense to go with Kirkland.
Thanks for your input. I am just worried about associate life and work/life balance. I've heard terrible things about Kirkland when it comes to that, so that's really my hesitation.
3rd year associate here. Not trying to be an asshole, but if you are worried about work/life balance, maybe these aren't the firms for you. 2 years unassigned does sound like a nice perk, though. And I'd be very wary of the idea of junior associates turning down work. Sounds good in theory, but in reality, that's extremely difficult.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:46 am

shock259 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3rd year associate here. Not trying to be an asshole, but if you are worried about work/life balance, maybe these aren't the firms for you. 2 years unassigned does sound like a nice perk, though. And I'd be very wary of the idea of junior associates turning down work. Sounds good in theory, but in reality, that's extremely difficult.
Thanks I appreciate it. I know that both places you'd work hard and a lot, obviously, but people keep saying to me that Kirkland is particularly "rough" or crazy hours etc. - but it's all from people who don't work there and so I am just curious to talk to someone who does and find out more of what that means and how different work lifestyle is at Kirkland than from other firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:04 am

I don't know about Latham, but I was at Kirkland NY this past summer. From what I know of their lit department (disclaimer: I mainly focused on corporate assignments) is that you get a lot of responsibilities early on if you seek it. You get a chance to go and prep for trial as early as your first year, if this is what you want. That's a plus if that's something you're looking for. So basically the saying is true about Kirkland, it is as intense as you want to make it. If you don't want it to be so intense, you can probably get away with doing less in the beginning. The partners I've met for lit have been extremely nice and really helpful. Also you might want to ask more about KITA. We did both KITA and Corporate Workshop (KICP is the formal training program for associates for corporate practice) as summers, and although I'm all in for corp, I thought KITA was by far the best in that I learned so much in a few days and it was so much more fun. I don't know if Latham has similar mock trials and training programs, but you could inquire about it.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either starting off your career. Latham seems to be on the rise, but so is Kirkland NY. But you definitely won't have anything to worry about, such as getting Lathamed at Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shock259 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks I appreciate it. I know that both places you'd work hard and a lot, obviously, but people keep saying to me that Kirkland is particularly "rough" or crazy hours etc. - but it's all from people who don't work there and so I am just curious to talk to someone who does and find out more of what that means and how different work lifestyle is at Kirkland than from other firms.
I'm also considering Kirkland and I've been hearing the same things. Is the culture there really as bad as people say?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm

No it's not, relative to its peer firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”