Transactional Prestige Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transactional Prestige

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:09 am

How important is a firm's prestige for general transactional law? Specifically in CA?

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Re: Transactional Prestige

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How important is a firm's prestige for general transactional law? Specifically in CA?
I think in one sense that very much depends on your definition or reference point for "prestige." It also depends on your end-goal, i.e. important to what?

If you're asking how important is your firm's prestige generally, outside of something like Vault, to your marketability, I would say it can be somewhat important in California, as most places, but probably not the sole determining factor in any hiring scenario down the road. That's probably not helpful but I think that's how the world works.

Anonymous User

Re: Transactional Prestige

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Can't say for California but the general consensus I got from in house attorneys is not very. When looking towards exit options firms are such a sweatshop that churn through people that trading "up" so to speak isnt particularly difficult since they need mid-level bodies to replace their departed homegrown ones. And most people aren't looking to go to a bigger sweatshop. As for in house your personal experience is going to be a lot more relevant than your firms vault ranking. Given that most corporate attorneys are doing the same sorts of thing it becomes more about fit and timing at that point. There may be an exception for some companies with large in-house departments that have a pipeline of attorneys from a particular firm.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”