Skadden NY vs. DPW NY vs. S&C NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm should I choose

Skadden NY
30%
DPW NY
52%
S&C NY
17%

Total votes: 46

Anonymous User

Skadden NY vs. DPW NY vs. S&C NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:29 pm

Hello,

Trying to choose between three New York offers here for my summer associate position. I know all three firms are peer firms that are relatively equal in terms of quality of work and prestige, so here are some factors that are relevant.
-I am LGBT, which is a large part of my identity, as well as being a racial minority (not AA).
-I am very interested in international arbitration first, and restructuring second, and not so interested in general corp or lit.
-I am a laid back person who is not very "intense".

Which of these three firms should I choose based on my identity, personality, and practice area interests. Also willing to hear opinions based on things like location, hours, culture, and quality of life at the firm. It seems like most people on here hate Skadden's culture, but I did not see that from my callback, so I would like more specifics if that is the case. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden NY vs. DPW NY vs. S&C NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

OP here, also if you could post reasons in addition to voting that would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 pm

OP again, also want to say that I hope this poll doesn't come across as douchey. I know that I am fortunate to have these great options, but it is still a tough choice that will affect my life going forward. I am hoping to make the decision soon so that I can open up the other offers to other students!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:00 pm

I think your personality fits best with DPW based on general stereotypes, however, the practice areas you are most interested in are stronger at S&C and Skadden which have more international presence. If you feel like you got along with people at those firms, I think those would be stronger options for you all else equal. I don't think you can go wrong, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think your personality fits best with DPW based on general stereotypes, however, the practice areas you are most interested in are stronger at S&C and Skadden which have more international presence. If you feel like you got along with people at those firms, I think those would be stronger options for you all else equal. I don't think you can go wrong, though.

Different anon but totally agree with this. I think at DPW you are going to find a very accepting and warm environment generally and a workplace environment that is certainly not intense. The issue is that DPW doesn't really do international arbitration and to the extent it does, you would be in the general litigation umbrella and at least as a junior wouldn't have such autonomy over your caseload as to purely specialize in intl. arb. DPW has a standalone restructuring group though and you would be insulated from general corporate. S&C does good intl. arb. work but doesn't have a restructuring practice to speak of. S&C is also in the middle of the culture spectrum of Skadden and DPW. Skadden has both practices you want but has the potential to be the worst personality fit.

I think I lean Skadden here if you are comfortable with the fit risk and then probably DPW over S&C but it really depends how much you prefer intl. arb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. Dead heat between Skadden and DPW, which I sort of anticipated lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:27 pm

Not at any of these firms. DPW is the only one where I'm like "yeah, that would be better than where I work."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not at any of these firms. DPW is the only one where I'm like "yeah, that would be better than where I work."

Closest friend from law school is doing int'l arbitration work at Skadden. Hear they've got quite the practice in that field. In may just be ignorant, but idk about DPW's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not at any of these firms. DPW is the only one where I'm like "yeah, that would be better than where I work."

Thank you for this rationalization of your personal circumstance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How about this: I pity people at Skadden and while S&C seems to do good work on the other side of the v., there's nothing special there at all.

Also to the person above, nothing special about Skadden in arbitration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How about this: I pity people at Skadden and while S&C seems to do good work on the other side of the v., there's nothing special there at all.

Also to the person above, nothing special about Skadden in arbitration.

You did it. You really did it. You showed them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:20 am

I guess somebody is sad that they work at Skadden.

Though that's true of literally everyone I know at Skadden, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Return to “Legal Employment�