Is Texas slower (CB-->offer)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Texas slower (CB-->offer)?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:07 pm

I had 5 callbacks in Texas (2 Dallas, 3 Houston). It's been 2-3 weeks since my callbacks, and I haven't heard from any of the firms. Is Texas generally slower? Do they do a lot of "silent dings"?

Anonymous User

Re: Is Texas slower (CB-->offer)?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had 5 callbacks in Texas (2 Dallas, 3 Houston). It's been 2-3 weeks since my callbacks, and I haven't heard from any of the firms. Is Texas generally slower? Do they do a lot of "silent dings"?

Would love to hear about this as well.

texas1100

New

Postby texas1100 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 am

IME, I heard about a week after CB. Silent dings being rare.

spacepenguin

Silver

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:05 am

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Typically, if you're not outright rejected, it means they liked you but didn't like you enough to give you an offer right away. You're most likely on the 'wait-list' so to speak to see how the numbers for the summer class shake up. FWIW, I was given an offer at the firm I'm working at roughly 4 weeks after my CB, and our turnaround time on extending offers is usually 1-5 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:26 am

For those of us still waiting on firms after callbacks, would it hurt to send a follow up email after it's been two weeks reiterating interest? What about telling the firm you'd accept their offer and decline others you've already received (essentially telling them they're your first choice)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 am

spacepenguin wrote:I wouldn't sweat it too much. Typically, if you're not outright rejected, it means they liked you but didn't like you enough to give you an offer right away. You're most likely on the 'wait-list' so to speak to see how the numbers for the summer class shake up. FWIW, I was given an offer at the firm I'm working at roughly 4 weeks after my CB, and our turnaround time on extending offers is usually 1-5 days.

Yep. If you haven't been rejected, they are still considering you. I once received a lateral offer at a Big Tex firm 5 months after my callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:I wouldn't sweat it too much. Typically, if you're not outright rejected, it means they liked you but didn't like you enough to give you an offer right away. You're most likely on the 'wait-list' so to speak to see how the numbers for the summer class shake up. FWIW, I was given an offer at the firm I'm working at roughly 4 weeks after my CB, and our turnaround time on extending offers is usually 1-5 days.

Yep. If you haven't been rejected, they are still considering you. I once received a lateral offer at a Big Tex firm 5 months after my callback.

How long would need to pass before you know you haven't been rejected? Would that be in the ballpark of 2-3 weeks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 am

Am I correctly assuming this changes for screeners? Example, I had a screener with a firm, have heard of people both being dinged after screener and getting callbacks/offers. Safe to assume I'm a ding as well, or are they waiting to see if they like me enough to bring me in for a callback?

I assume it's a silent ding, but curious anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How long would need to pass before you know you haven't been rejected? Would that be in the ballpark of 2-3 weeks?

That's impossible to tell, unfortunately. Usually, we'll extend offers to the people we really liked with the expectation that some will obviously not accept. After a week or so, if we see that many of these candidates won't be accepting, we'll go into our 'reserves' and offer a few more people to make sure we don't underhire. Of course, if towards the end of the hiring process we see that our numbers are completely off point, we'll definitely go back and send a wave of offers then.

Long story short, the longer you wait, the 'lower' on the wait-list you are, which could very well depend on whether you preferenced corporate or litigation.

spacepenguin

Silver

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Above anonymous reply was me. My bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:57 pm

spacepenguin wrote:Above anonymous reply was me. My bad.

That's quite all right, and I thank you for your advice. In this case, if I contact the firm after 3 weeks and re-express my interest to work with them, would this be a bad move or does it depend on how I pull it off?

Return to “Legal Employment�