Post-Offer Background Checks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Offer Background Checks?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Hello All,

I'm quite curious about one (hopefully) small matter. I was extended an offer from a fairly large (but regional) firm for next summer, for a 2L Summer Associate position.

Everything was going perfectly until I started to obsess over the background check issue. For those of you familiar with 2L SA offers, they are officially contingent on passing a background check, both for credentials and a criminal record. I'm not concerned about the criminal background or credentials check, rather I'm concerned about certain things that seem to be permanently stuck on Google associated with my name which may come up at some point during either check.

It's nothing horrific, but in my younger years some of my political views were a bit against-the-grain and maybe a little Ben Shapiro-esque. I'm not ashamed of this period of my life, but I've tried to erase the evidence just to diminish any potential problems that could arise in the hiring process. There are certain sites that literally post old Youtube comments that are next to impossible to remove. I don't know why these things exist. Anyway, what is the likelihood that, in their background checks, they might come across some of this less-than-PC stuff and get turned off enough to rescind their offer? It's really not racist, homophobic, or hateful. To be more candid, I had belonged to a group that was branded by *some* as anti-feminist. It sincerely wasn't though.

Tl;dr, I posted some things as a high school kid that are essentially now permanently stored on Google, that are perhaps a bit childish and not-very-PC. Do you think this will resurface on a background check of any sort?

Thanks

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Re: Post-Offer Background Checks?

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:14 pm

If it's social media related, you can delete the old posts and then plug the url into some form on google for it to purge it from it's algorithm because the page will no longer exist.

Not sure how to help with the youtube comments other than trying the same?

Sideshow Raheem

New

Post by Sideshow Raheem » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:38 pm

They would have Googled you by now if they were ever gonna Google you at all. These background checks are usually just a third party contractor getting some dude in Bangalore to run routine criminal, educational and potentially credit checks. The most he'll do beyond that is call up employers on your resume to verify you actually worked there. Relax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:06 pm

OP here,

Thank you! I appreciate that greatly. I will try to relax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”