What month is it okay to assume you have struck out? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What month is it okay to assume you have struck out?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 pm

Transferred from a T4 to a bottom ranged T1. Jumped over 150+ rankings on US News/ smart rankings/ ATL, etc. Proud of that. But only managed to get 2 screeners at OCI which also seem unsure. Why did I get 2 screeners? well I assume you can get the idea of where I was attending and how far I've jumped up to tell what kind of school it was. I was in the top 15 percentile at old school. Currently In the process of mass mailing. Don't really hustle because I have no friends at this new school but have managed to tailgate the heck out of career counseling. Not sure of my interview skills. Probably think they are a bit mediocre, may need to do a mock but I'm having no luck with screeners yet. Once I get more screeners, I will do a few mocks with career counseling. Am I doing everything I can at this point to get a SA? I'm not giving up!

By the end of December if I get no luck is it okay to assume that I struck out and it was not meant to be?

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Re: What month is it okay to assume you have struck out?

Post by DrSpaceman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:42 pm

No, because you still have a year and a half of law school. Keep fighting. Some people get 3L SAs which become jobs.

Hope springs eternal.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 pm

What city are you in?

If it's non-NYC, join all of the mixer groups, ABA groups, professional networking groups, etc. that you can and if you can develop an interest in a practice area that is booming in that location, all the better. A lot of attorneys at smaller firms aren't "looking" for an SA, but they're open to the idea if they meet someone they know will be professional, polite, hard-working, etc.

Be open to working during the school year for a semi-shitty wage (like $15/hour) to make connections, if the people seem like decent, responsible professionals. You don't want to work in a sweatshop so don't work for anyone sleazy or anyone who seems to rely on underpaid student labor. That said, working part-time for smaller firms can be really rewarding and give you a great local reference.

There is networking hustling to be done---you just have to look outside of your classmates.

Good luck, I have tons of respect for what you're trying to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm

landshoes, thanks for the words. I am targeting mostly Houston and Dallas BigLaw. These small law firms may take me on as a SA and if they do provide transactional work or corporate expertise and finance, I may be able to lateral, but that's not the ultimate goal. I want to start of BigLaw and not have to worry about lateraling later or 3L OCI.

Now coming from a bottom ranked T1 as a transfer may be a different story.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:landshoes, thanks for the words. I am targeting mostly Houston and Dallas BigLaw. These small law firms may take me on as a SA and if they do provide transactional work or corporate expertise and finance, I may be able to lateral, but that's not the ultimate goal. I want to start of BigLaw and not have to worry about lateraling later or 3L OCI.

Now coming from a bottom ranked T1 as a transfer may be a different story.
Is your new school in Texas? If not, this pipe dream is going to be next to impossible.

Also, Get some practical experience at a firm during the school year...see where it takes you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”