Its Been Three Weeks! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Its Been Three Weeks!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:34 am

Its been three weeks since my CB with a firm in NY and I have not heard back. The firm has a small class size (around 10 or so). I've "moved on" from the firm and have been "hustling" but since its my top firm I'm confused about what to do. Is this a ding? I'd assume if I was rejected I would have heard back by now. Am I possibly on a waitlist?

*most importantly: Should I contact recruiting to ask for an updated status on my candidacy? I don't currently hold an offer though so I don't know if asking without saying I have an offer expiring would seem desperate.

Anonymous User

Re: Its Been Three Weeks!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:43 am

The smaller the class size, the more likely it is that you are waitlisted (as opposed to a silent ding).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The smaller the class size, the more likely it is that you are waitlisted (as opposed to a silent ding).
Are you aware if firms with smaller class sizes waitlist ALL applicants they had a CB with or only waitlist some?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:17 pm

They do not waitlist all their CBs. They reject a decent amount around the same time they make their initial offers. They only keep the ones they actually would extend offers too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The smaller the class size, the more likely it is that you are waitlisted (as opposed to a silent ding).
Are you aware if firms with smaller class sizes waitlist ALL applicants they had a CB with or only waitlist some?
My firm, which usually is in the 8-15 summer range, told us the process works like this: The hiring committee has a yield figure in mind of offers/accepts. They meet weekly to review candidates from callbacks and basically put people into Yes and No piles; there's no explicit 'waitlist' pile. Where a 'waitlist' comes from is if they have a candidate the committee said 'yes' to, but the current outstanding offers are sufficient to fill their class based on the committee's projected yield. So for us it's nothing more than a timing thing (and why conventional wisdom on TLS is to get your interviews in as early as possible).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
My firm, which usually is in the 8-15 summer range, told us the process works like this: The hiring committee has a yield figure in mind of offers/accepts. They meet weekly to review candidates from callbacks and basically put people into Yes and No piles; there's no explicit 'waitlist' pile. Where a 'waitlist' comes from is if they have a candidate the committee said 'yes' to, but the current outstanding offers are sufficient to fill their class based on the committee's projected yield. So for us it's nothing more than a timing thing (and why conventional wisdom on TLS is to get your interviews in as early as possible).
I see. So basically they foresee extending an offer to the waitlisted individuals based on their yield rate? Does this mean the possibility of getting an offer if waitlisted in that "yes" pile is pretty high?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I see. So basically they foresee extending an offer to the waitlisted individuals based on their yield rate? Does this mean the possibility of getting an offer if waitlisted in that "yes" pile is pretty high?
I think at this point, where it is still probably within the first offerees NALP timeline to make a decision, you have at least a solid chance if you're in this type of situation. I have no idea how other firms do it though, I just know how ours works (and I'm 95% sure I was one of the people in this situation at my firm last year).

But really, you shouldn't be worrying about reading tea leaves right now. I'd be applying, applying, and applying some more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”