Desired Rotation - Davis Polk Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Desired Rotation - Davis Polk

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge about whether 1st year associates are always able to get their desired rotation at Davis Polk?

When I interviewed there, they mentioned they do their best to slot incoming associates into their preferred rotation. I was wondering how true that was, specifically for someone's number one preference. My concern is that since M/A is typically a pretty popular practice area, there may not be enough room for every incoming associate who lists that as their number one preference. Especially since, I believe, DP's larger groups are FIG and Cap Markets.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Anonymous User

Re: Desired Rotation - Davis Polk

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have firsthand knowledge about whether 1st year associates are always able to get their desired rotation at Davis Polk?

When I interviewed there, they mentioned they do their best to slot incoming associates into their preferred rotation. I was wondering how true that was, specifically for someone's number one preference. My concern is that since M/A is typically a pretty popular practice area, there may not be enough room for every incoming associate who lists that as their number one preference. Especially since, I believe, DP's larger groups are FIG and Cap Markets.

Any thoughts/experiences?
Almost every first year gets their first choice rotation as one of their two rotations, but in a lot of cases you don't get your second choice as your other rotation. Once the time to assign comes there is a merit based element to it in that reviews are taken into account, but it generally works out that almost everyone gets to assign where they want and the remaining get a third rotation and are just promised their desired group in the spring of their second year.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”