KE (Houston) vs. VE (Dallas)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

KE (Houston) vs. VE (Dallas)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Can't really decide between these two. Interested in corporate work, and both are fantastic in that respect. Native to Dallas, so I am a bit nervous about moving to Houston away from my family, but I understand the value that KE's name carries, and I do not mind a new challenge. I've already been away for 5-plus years counting undergrad and law school.

I was hoping I could get perspective from insiders into the cultures of each office. Stuffy? Yelling partners? Generally friendly environment/non-competitive? Also, what do exit option typically look like at each firm? Would it be easy for me to come back to Dallas after spending several years in Houston? Although I am aware that I will likely see a lot of energy work at both, I am interested in hearing about the diversity of other industry work that flows through each.

Bananapancakes

New

Re: KE (Houston) vs. VE (Dallas)

Postby Bananapancakes » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't really decide between these two. Interested in corporate work, and both are fantastic in that respect. Native to Dallas, so I am a bit nervous about moving to Houston away from my family, but I understand the value that KE's name carries, and I do not mind a new challenge. I've already been away for 5-plus years counting undergrad and law school.

I was hoping I could get perspective from insiders into the cultures of each office. Stuffy? Yelling partners? Generally friendly environment/non-competitive? Also, what do exit option typically look like at each firm? Would it be easy for me to come back to Dallas after spending several years in Houston? Although I am aware that I will likely see a lot of energy work at both, I am interested in hearing about the diversity of other industry work that flows through each.

PM me

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I understand the value that KE's name carries, and I do not mind a new challenge.

V&E name carries more weight in Texas than KE, unless that has changed without me knowing it.

I've always heard V&E Houston is pretty heavy handed with how much control they have over the Dallas office, i.e. Dallas partners don't have much autonomy. Someone who is more familiar with V&E can comment on whether that is true or not and how that affects the day to day.

There is a KE Houston associate who has done a now somewhat lengthy thread about his experiences here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=268018 I would encourage you go to there and ask questions about the office.

Edit: I should note, the kool-aid is strong in the Kirkland associates in that thread. Please take some of the things they say with a grain of salt or at least realize the bias they have.

Exit options at both will likely be very good, but specifics will obviously be heavily dependent on the type of corporate work you end up doing.

My two cents. If you know that you want to end up in Dallas long term (as seems to be your plan?) I would do V&E Dallas. I think it will be easier to do a few years there then either go in house somewhere or lateral to like Haynes and Boone or Winstead or somewhere like that and gun for partner. Not saying you couldn't do that from KE, but it would just be easier from V&E as many others have done that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread. What is the general consensus on VE (New York)? Does the Houston office still dictate work like it does in Dallas? What kind of weight does VE''s name carry outside of TX?

Return to “Legal Employment�