Struck out - drop out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out - drop out?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:44 pm

I am a top third student at a T20. I had roughly 30 screeners at OCI, landed only 2 callbacks, dinged by both firms. Went to career services for some mock interviews and got feedback that I wasn't doing anything wrong. Organized another mock interview with a company in my hometown and the partners said it went great. I have a few more screeners lined up in September/October through subsequent OCI programs and mass mailing, but I really don't think anything will pan out since the bulk of my interviews have come and gone.

Having said that, is it worth it for me to stay in law school and finish my JD? Are there any advantages to having a JD I don't plan on using, or would it be a wiser career move to exit the profession now and cut my losses? Will I still be competitive for non-JD jobs if I finish my JD, or is it more helpful to go without the JD? I don't want to waste two years here if it isn't worth it.I have absolutely ZERO interest in public interest or working for a small firm in the middle of nowhere. I'm kind of lukewarm about being a lawyer in general - if I land a market paying firm then I would gladly take it, but 1L and my summer internship pretty much made me disillusioned with the profession.

KJD, econ UG from state flagship with mediocre GPA, full scholarship at T20, will have no law school or UG debt.

star fox

Diamond

Re: Struck out - drop out?

Postby star fox » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:46 pm

I can't tell you how to live your life but if your parents are paying for your law school you may as well stick it out.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:47 pm

star fox wrote:I can't tell you how to live your life but if your parents are paying for your law school you may as well stick it out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:47 pm

star fox wrote:I can't tell you how to live your life but if your parents are paying for your law school you may as well stick it out.

No parental contribution. Scholarship + savings covers my expenses

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:53 pm

You should drop out if you think it's better than staying in school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:54 pm

What would you do if you dropped it? If you tell your school they have to up your scholarship or your gone, you might be able to make it cheaper. 2L and 3L are a lot better than 1L, but if you're sure you don't want to be a lawyer, don't waste the time and money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What would you do if you dropped it? If you tell your school they have to up your scholarship or your gone, you might be able to make it cheaper. 2L and 3L are a lot better than 1L, but if you're sure you don't want to be a lawyer, don't waste the time and money.

I have some PR experience, so I would look into entry level positions at PR firms in cities I enjoy.

I enjoyed econ, so I might look into a masters or some entry level job peripherally related to econ.

I've always wanted to teach English in a foreign country, like Japan or Korea or something.

idk, really

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What would you do if you dropped it? If you tell your school they have to up your scholarship or your gone, you might be able to make it cheaper. 2L and 3L are a lot better than 1L, but if you're sure you don't want to be a lawyer, don't waste the time and money.

I have some PR experience, so I would look into entry level positions at PR firms in cities I enjoy.

I enjoyed econ, so I might look into a masters or some entry level job peripherally related to econ.

I've always wanted to teach English in a foreign country, like Japan or Korea or something.

idk, really

Definitely talk to financial aid first, to see if they will also cover COL. If you want advice/information about teaching English overseas, PM me.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Postby daedalus2309 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

idk, really

Definitely talk to financial aid first, to see if they will also cover COL.

Not to be a jerk but is this even remotely possible? I've only ever heard of this with the Ruby and the Root-Tildurn at UT.

I say stick it out until the other interviews are done. And extra two months of foregone income seems worth a possible 100k+ job. That said, law can be a miserable job even for people who love it on paper, so I think OP should really think about what will make them happy rather than what is easy.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:58 pm

You have a full scholarship. You should stay.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Postby eyeofvigilence » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:24 pm

To be honest, it sounds super dramatic to drop out now. Who said OCI was the only way to get a job? You're at a good school with decent grades. Mass mail, network, and hustle till you get a job you want.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a top third student at a T20. I had roughly 30 screeners at OCI, landed only 2 callbacks, dinged by both firms. Went to career services for some mock interviews and got feedback that I wasn't doing anything wrong. Organized another mock interview with a company in my hometown and the partners said it went great. I have a few more screeners lined up in September/October through subsequent OCI programs and mass mailing, but I really don't think anything will pan out since the bulk of my interviews have come and gone.

Having said that, is it worth it for me to stay in law school and finish my JD? Are there any advantages to having a JD I don't plan on using, or would it be a wiser career move to exit the profession now and cut my losses? Will I still be competitive for non-JD jobs if I finish my JD, or is it more helpful to go without the JD? I don't want to waste two years here if it isn't worth it.I have absolutely ZERO interest in public interest or working for a small firm in the middle of nowhere. I'm kind of lukewarm about being a lawyer in general - if I land a market paying firm then I would gladly take it, but 1L and my summer internship pretty much made me disillusioned with the profession.

KJD, econ UG from state flagship with mediocre GPA, full scholarship at T20, will have no law school or UG debt.

If you don't want to be a lawyer, drop out. But I'm not sure how your results at OCI changes that. You sure you aren't overreacting to rejection?

I'm just not sure why landing with a market-paying firm changes your perception so much. There are so many threads here on biglaw. If you're not interested in being a lawyer, I don't see why you'd want to work in biglaw other than money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:13 am

i got full ride as well and came out with no debt. sure as hell makes life easier but doesnt make me hate or love the profession any more or less. tough call. id stick it out if it was free. u made substantial investment and if anything will come out with a JD degree debt free. shit why not.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 am

You haven't struck out yet: it's inly August
If you get to November with no offer then maybe it makes sense to consider this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:42 am

I got my offer at the end of September last year from continuing to do screeners.

You haven't struck out shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:51 am

It sounds like interviewers are correctly perceiving your (lack of) interest in being a practicing lawyer? I know that when I am interviewing, it's first thing I probe for and easy grounds for a ding. If you can't even fake interest for a 20 min interview, how are you going to stay engaged for a year, let alone the 3-4 years that means youre a positive ROI for your firm?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 am

Wild Card wrote:You have a full scholarship. You should stay.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 pm

I would stay given that you have a fully scholarship.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Got my offer in October. You need to keep hustling.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:04 pm

I'll go against the grain and say that you should see about taking a year-long leave of absence and still maintaining your scholarship.

You might find a newfound passion for the law and come back ready to hustle for a job. Or you might go into PR, enjoy the fuck out of it, and realize you don't want to waste two more years in law school.

Those two years aren't "free" even if you're paying for law school. They're two of your healthiest, most energetic, peak-earning years.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:05 pm

landshoes wrote:I'll go against the grain and say that you should see about taking a year-long leave of absence and still maintaining your scholarship.

You might find a newfound passion for the law and come back ready to hustle for a job. Or you might go into PR, enjoy the fuck out of it, and realize you don't want to waste two more years in law school.

Those two years aren't "free" even if you're paying for law school. They're two of your healthiest, most energetic, peak-earning years.

Peak-earning? What?

Arbinshire

New

Postby Arbinshire » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:13 pm

TITCR: Drop out.

The job market sucks. Too much competition and one less lawyer is always a good thing for job prospects.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Being a lawyer sucks and you already don't want to be one before you even had a chance to try it. Drop out now. Two years of your life, plus whatever you spend being a lawyer is not worth a stupid free education in a professional degree. You won't learn anything and you'll likely just hurt your career chances going forward. \\

Only way I'd stay is if you have some clear career path where a legal degree might be a plus (some government stuff still sorta values a JD). Otherwise I'd gtfo.

I'd at least take an leave of absence from school now. You can check out the regular job market. Do some self exporation shit. And if you really want to be a lawyer (like bad enough you'd defend DUIs for living) then you can always go back. You'd probably even be allowed to do OCI again.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:28 pm

star fox wrote:
landshoes wrote:I'll go against the grain and say that you should see about taking a year-long leave of absence and still maintaining your scholarship.

Peak-earning? What?

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for catching that. It's certainly not universally true. My perspective is that wages often don't go up for people in any meaningful way as they get older. Law is relatively forgiving of "older" people; PR is one of those industries that typically is not. Finally, women have other things going on that tend to limit their earning power as they get older.

Return to “Legal Employment�