Upstate New York Law Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Upstate New York Law Firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me about the reputations of upstate NY law firms Harter Secrest, Hodgson Russ, Phillips Lytle, and the smaller firm Connors. Thanks in advance.

RSN

Silver

Re: Upstate New York Law Firms?

Post by RSN » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Not knowing anything else, I'd start here: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/guide/usa/5/17820

freshwaterorleans

New

Post by freshwaterorleans » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 am

Anybody know which firms are lockstep? I've heard Nixon and Harter. What about Barclay, Hancock, Phillips, Bond, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Does anyone know if Hodgson Russ gave all 5 of their 2016 SAs offers this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Reviving this thread for a quick question.

Does anyone know what type of GPA/ranking/law school rank is needed to get interest from this firm? I have loads of experience in the practice area they are looking for but I have no ties to upstate NY. They emailed asking for a transcript but I wasn't sure if this was just because I didnt submit it originally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reviving this thread for a quick question.

Does anyone know what type of GPA/ranking/law school rank is needed to get interest from this firm? I have loads of experience in the practice area they are looking for but I have no ties to upstate NY. They emailed asking for a transcript but I wasn't sure if this was just because I didnt submit it originally.
They care a lot about ties

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 pm

jawsjawsjaws wrote:

Like, a lot. And not just to Upstate but to the specific city they are in. Western NY (Rochester, Buffalo) vs Central NY (Syracuse)...they are not all the same thing and lumping it all into "Upstate NY" will show a lack of ties quite clearly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jawsjawsjaws wrote:

Like, a lot. And not just to Upstate but to the specific city they are in. Western NY (Rochester, Buffalo) vs Central NY (Syracuse)...they are not all the same thing and lumping it all into "Upstate NY" will show a lack of ties quite clearly.

Okay I get the point. Do you have any idea about GPA etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jawsjawsjaws wrote:

Okay I get the point. Do you have any idea about GPA etc?
They want excellent grades...Why wouldn't that be true? They have their pick of the top of the class of the nearby schools. At the risk of getting another "okay I get the point", the people I know who got offers who weren't the tip top of the class had connections to the area and the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 pm

I was top of my class at a Upstate NY school, wanted to be in Upstate NY because family is in Canada and wanted to practice in the USA. Liked that it was a close drive over the border. Interviews at every big firm, 0 offers. Had some partners tell me straight up I lost to similar or inferior candidates because I wasn't born and raised in Buffalo/Albany/Syracuse etc.

I ended up getting a good firm job in the Capital District but I had to HUSTLE. Grades were not much of the equation in even getting my final job, but more experience/skills and networking.

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:48 pm

I didn't have good grades, and my only tie to the area was my undergrad. I think I got lucky though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 pm

jawsjawsjaws wrote:I didn't have good grades, and my only tie to the area was my undergrad. I think I got lucky though.

Mind sharing your grades/LS rank?

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jawsjawsjaws wrote:I didn't have good grades, and my only tie to the area was my undergrad. I think I got lucky though.

Mind sharing your grades/LS rank?
PM me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:52 am

It's a crapshoot. For example, I was born and raised in Buffalo, attended all area schools all the way through law school. Got good grades in LS, and didn't receive an interview at a firm in a particular (smaller) department after sending in my materials. Two of my classmates, who received lower grades with ties not as strong to the area, are now employed as associates in that very department. Like me, they did not previously clerk there. It is one of the firms on OP's list.

Had a CB at Harter. Thought I nailed it, but no offer.

Connors is extremely difficult to get into unless you're politically connected or closely related to someone who's highly connected, in addition to very high grades. If you don't have strong area ties you're not getting in. I clerked for a firm in the same building as them and got to know a lot about them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 am

Reviving this thread. Does anyone know what midlevel (4-6 years) salaries are at Hodgson Russ, Phillips Lytle, or Harter Secrest?

I’m interviewing at one of the three above and have set up interviews at the others and I want to know ballpark numbers since I’ll probably need to negotiate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:16 am

Reviving this to see if anyone has a read on Nixon, Woods Oviatt, Hodgson, Harter, etc. starting salaries in Buffalo or Rochester. There seems to be a clear difference in name recognition outside of Western NY between the firms, but not sure of a difference in comp.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”