eyeofvigilence wrote:TBH, this firm seems really crappy. 3 days to decide? Is this normal? Plus, 74k and 2000+ billable hours is not all that enticing.
1. Accept and then renege if you get a better offer. Downside is this sucks and could have repercussions for your reputation. Plus side is that you don't end up jobless in case your other possibilities fall through. In all fairness, they haven't left you with a lot of options. Reneging here seems less problematic because of the way they put their offer to you.
2. Tell the firm to you're really interested, but you simply can't make a decision that fast. Ask for an extension. If they really deny you, then it doesn't seem like the firm is really somewhere you want to work anyways.
If it were me, I'd go with choice #2. It just seems like the better thing to do. However, getting a job can be tough, and you don't want to come up empty handed.
I guess I have a few follow up questions for you:
What's the likelihood of coming into contact with this firm again if you renege? Do the other firms practice in the same areas?
Are you already outperforming yourself by getting an offer from a not-so-great school/lousy grades?
I mean if people are going to hold it against your reputation if you renege for a job that pays double then they are being ridiculous.