help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GoneSouth

Bronze

Re: Firm made an offer but wants an answer right away

Post by GoneSouth » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:26 pm

eyeofvigilence wrote:TBH, this firm seems really crappy. 3 days to decide? Is this normal? Plus, 74k and 2000+ billable hours is not all that enticing.

Two choices:

1. Accept and then renege if you get a better offer. Downside is this sucks and could have repercussions for your reputation. Plus side is that you don't end up jobless in case your other possibilities fall through. In all fairness, they haven't left you with a lot of options. Reneging here seems less problematic because of the way they put their offer to you.

2. Tell the firm to you're really interested, but you simply can't make a decision that fast. Ask for an extension. If they really deny you, then it doesn't seem like the firm is really somewhere you want to work anyways.

If it were me, I'd go with choice #2. It just seems like the better thing to do. However, getting a job can be tough, and you don't want to come up empty handed.

I guess I have a few follow up questions for you:

What's the likelihood of coming into contact with this firm again if you renege? Do the other firms practice in the same areas?

Are you already outperforming yourself by getting an offer from a not-so-great school/lousy grades?
I mean if people are going to hold it against your reputation if you renege for a job that pays double then they are being ridiculous.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Accept then reneg, man. Don't worry about it and don't stop the search process.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:16 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:Accept then reneg, man. Don't worry about it and don't stop the search process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:49 pm

as a practical matter, when you are working 10-12 hours a day, how do you interview and pick up calls during the day? Don't your bosses ask you why you are leaving in the middle of work?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:11 pm

"doctor's appointment"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:as a practical matter, when you are working 10-12 hours a day, how do you interview and pick up calls during the day? Don't your bosses ask you why you are leaving in the middle of work?
My firm doesn't care as long as you tell your assistant/reception/someone you're out of the office. Don't need to specify a reason. Will never come up unless you're 200 under your target hours or you walked out during a deadline/meeting. I take calls on my cell phone all the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 pm

helped

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”