Interview/Lunch with a V50.... first and only ever interview with biglaw, would appreciate some advice!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview/Lunch with a V50.... first and only ever interview with biglaw, would appreciate some advice!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm

I've gotten very mixed answers from my schools career center and other attorneys so was hoping to get some advice here. Had a good interview a month and a half ago with a v50 (northeast market) for a position with a specific practice group and was finally invited back recently to have lunch with 3 others from that group. After lunch, I'm meeting with 3 partners, for only 20 min each, from a diff practice group. I've never had a callback or even an interview at a large firm before (spent many many months in the hell that is the 3L vale of tears) so I'm a little uncertain about what to expect. During lunch, do I keep it casual and show I have non-legal interest? or do I keep trying to "sell myself" and pivot back to my qualifications/experience? After lunch, when I'm meeting with partners from a completely diff practice group, should I expect questions geared toward personality fit? whats the purpose of the short meetings? Would sincerely appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Interview/Lunch with a V50.... first and only ever interview with biglaw, would appreciate some advice!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Don't be weird. And don't try to pretend to be smart. Good luck!

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Re: Interview/Lunch with a V50.... first and only ever interview with biglaw, would appreciate some advice!

Postby eyeofvigilence » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten very mixed answers from my schools career center and other attorneys so was hoping to get some advice here. Had a good interview a month and a half ago with a v50 (northeast market) for a position with a specific practice group and was finally invited back recently to have lunch with 3 others from that group. After lunch, I'm meeting with 3 partners, for only 20 min each, from a diff practice group. I've never had a callback or even an interview at a large firm before (spent many many months in the hell that is the 3L vale of tears) so I'm a little uncertain about what to expect. During lunch, do I keep it casual and show I have non-legal interest? or do I keep trying to "sell myself" and pivot back to my qualifications/experience? After lunch, when I'm meeting with partners from a completely diff practice group, should I expect questions geared toward personality fit? whats the purpose of the short meetings? Would sincerely appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance!

Follow their lead on casualness/work related conversation. If they start asking you work related questions, answer and prepare a few questions to ask back to keep the conversation going (5-10 prepared; usually only ask 2-3). If they just want to shoot the breeze, don't get all weird and start trying to sell yourself.

Prepare for the serious type lunch (e.g., research each person and know their practice areas, etc.), but be relaxed enough to have an enjoyable time if it goes that route.

I've had four BigLaw lunch interviews, and they've all mostly started out casual, progressed to some substantive conversation about the firm right about after we ordered and were waiting for the food, and ended with more casual conversation. That's likely how yours will go.

Good luck.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten very mixed answers from my schools career center and other attorneys so was hoping to get some advice here. Had a good interview a month and a half ago with a v50 (northeast market) for a position with a specific practice group and was finally invited back recently to have lunch with 3 others from that group. After lunch, I'm meeting with 3 partners, for only 20 min each, from a diff practice group. I've never had a callback or even an interview at a large firm before (spent many many months in the hell that is the 3L vale of tears) so I'm a little uncertain about what to expect. During lunch, do I keep it casual and show I have non-legal interest? or do I keep trying to "sell myself" and pivot back to my qualifications/experience? After lunch, when I'm meeting with partners from a completely diff practice group, should I expect questions geared toward personality fit? whats the purpose of the short meetings? Would sincerely appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance!

I've always had a lot of fun at my lunches (some in DC and a bunch in NY) and and they've been super casual. Because it's with the junior associates, it's your opportunity to gauge how happy/exhausted they look (this isn't mutually exclusive) and also ask about their experiences at the firm.

Actually, the associates at one V20 firm specifically told me before we even left the building "so the 4 people you just met w/ have already made their decisions, which means our input means nothing. Unless you do something crazy. That's good because now we can enjoy lunch!" We spent the rest of the lunch talking about Madrid, showing each other pictures of our dogs, etc. Offer.

That being said, I'd take the advice of the poster who advised that you read the associates' cues, because if they're being super formal, you don't want to start shooting the breeze w/ them.

Basically, just be normal and use your social skills to read the atmosphere. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:54 am

Thank you very much for the input!

My first interview (2 months ago) was with partners and this lunch is with associates. So I'm hoping it'll be casual!

What I'm more uncertain about is these short meetings with partners from other groups, is it safe to say I wouldn’t be expected to demonstrate any knowledge or comment on issues in their practice area? I was thinking I would just brush up on areas where their practice group overlaps with the one I'm interviewing for. I'm assuming they refer a lot of work to each other. I'm expecting these quick meetings to focus more on "fit" and testing to confirm that I'm a normal human being capable of holding a convo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:11 pm

The key is to be yourself and learn to listen carefully. I really only started to get better when I was well prepared but stayed in my own character. Believe in yourself. Dont be weird/aspie. Follow their lead. Good luck.

Ps. Smile a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The key is to be yourself and learn to listen carefully. I really only started to get better when I was well prepared but stayed in my own character. Believe in yourself. Dont be weird/aspie. Follow their lead. Good luck.

Ps. Smile a lot.

I usually try to maintain a slight smile during interviews. Like the entire time the interviewer is talking, while also nodding at their answers to my questions. On callbacks my face starts to hurt by the 3rd hour......

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The key is to be yourself and learn to listen carefully. I really only started to get better when I was well prepared but stayed in my own character. Believe in yourself. Dont be weird/aspie. Follow their lead. Good luck.

Ps. Smile a lot.

I usually try to maintain a slight smile during interviews. Like the entire time the interviewer is talking, while also nodding at their answers to my questions. On callbacks my face starts to hurt by the 3rd hour......

But don't nod too much. You don't wanna look like a bobble head.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:53 pm

order a salad or something thats not messy you can eat with a fork

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you very much for the input!

My first interview (2 months ago) was with partners and this lunch is with associates. So I'm hoping it'll be casual!

What I'm more uncertain about is these short meetings with partners from other groups, is it safe to say I wouldn’t be expected to demonstrate any knowledge or comment on issues in their practice area? I was thinking I would just brush up on areas where their practice group overlaps with the one I'm interviewing for. I'm assuming they refer a lot of work to each other. I'm expecting these quick meetings to focus more on "fit" and testing to confirm that I'm a normal human being capable of holding a convo.

No, you're not expected to demonstrate knowledge on their practice groups, but it's probably a good idea to just have a basic idea of what they do. Actually, it's a great question to ask that can kickstart a convo - what they do on a daily basis, how they ended up in a particular practice group, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 am

ek5dn wrote:

No, you're not expected to demonstrate knowledge on their practice groups, but it's probably a good idea to just have a basic idea of what they do. Actually, it's a great question to ask that can kickstart a convo - what they do on a daily basis, how they ended up in a particular practice group, etc.

Thats a relief! Thank you.

Anyone have insight on the relationship dynamic when one practice group refers work to another? I would imagine the main concern here is that X group wants to be certain Y group won't hurt their relationship with the client. Hence why they want at least a quick meeting with a potential new addition to a group they refer a lot of work to. Any other considerations I should be aware of?

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Postby eyeofvigilence » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

Anyone have insight on the relationship dynamic when one practice group refers work to another? I would imagine the main concern here is that X group wants to be certain Y group won't hurt their relationship with the client. Hence why they want at least a quick meeting with a potential new addition to a group they refer a lot of work to. Any other considerations I should be aware of?

Yeah, I wouldn't mention anything like this. I interviewed with people from different practice groups at the majority of my callbacks. I think it's based more on who's available and wanting to give you a more diverse view of the firm. I'd imagine it has less to do with referring work etc.

You can ask how the two groups work together and if there's any overlap, though. That might be interesting. At the majority of the firms I interviewed with, the overlap was minimal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:51 pm

At least with regards to the lunches, I have always kept it casual and talk about other things (ask them where they're from, how they ended up here, etc. Think of it like a date), unless they specifically ask me about my legal interests, which they typically do. They will invariably ask you if you have any questions about the firm, so you should always have at least two questions ready to ask. Having said that, the legal-talk/firm-talk portion of the lunches has always been significantly minimal at every single one I've done. I feel their aim with the lunches is to get to know you as a person, rather than as your boring law-student self haha. Like I said, treat it like you would a date. While they're trying to get to know you better, also try and get to know the people you're talking to better. Are these individuals you would like grabbing lunch with on a regular basis or shooting the shit at their office for a bit? That's usually the approach I've taken and it has worked well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:06 pm

eyeofvigilence wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't mention anything like this. I interviewed with people from different practice groups at the majority of my callbacks. I think it's based more on who's available and wanting to give you a more diverse view of the firm. I'd imagine it has less to do with referring work etc.

You can ask how the two groups work together and if there's any overlap, though. That might be interesting. At the majority of the firms I interviewed with, the overlap was minimal.

Thank you!
(keeping in mind I'm interviewing for a specific group) In those interviews you had with partners from other groups, what kind of questions did they ask?

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Postby eyeofvigilence » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

Thank you!
(keeping in mind I'm interviewing for a specific group) In those interviews you had with partners from other groups, what kind of questions did they ask?

Same types of questions as screener interviewers, but they just didn't know a lot about what my desired practice group did (litigation). I'd just ask them about their practice and why they decided to go that particular route instead of the route you want to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:49 am

Offered and accepted. Waited 16 long months after graduation for an opportunity like this and it finally happened.

Thank you all for taking the time to share some insight, I will pay it forward on TLS.

Return to “Legal Employment?