Debevoise NY v. Latham NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Debevoise or Latham (Transactional)

Debevoise
53%
Latham
47%

Total votes: 81

Anonymous User

Debevoise NY v. Latham NY

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:51 am

Looking for transactional law. Liked who I talked to in both places, but definitely don't have the full view. Which do you think is the better choice? Feel free to separate based on culture v. practice group strength.

Anonymous User

Re: Debevoise NY v. Latham NY

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Both are elite New York corporate shops but Debevoise 1) had no mass layoffs during the recession and 2) has pure lockstep partner compensation. Job security just seems stronger at Debevoise.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Both are elite New York corporate shops but Debevoise 1) had no mass layoffs during the recession and 2) has pure lockstep partner compensation. Job security just seems stronger at Debevoise.
Let's not abuse the anonymous feature. There's nothing in this post that requires anonymity.

To answer the question: I think it's a tough call. While I agree that both firms are pretty "elite," they're not quite in the Cravath/Sullivan/Davis/Simpson group that is elite in virtually every practice group--point being that even a slight interest in a particular practice area that one excels at (e.g. private M&A, particularly funds --> Debevoise; debt capital markets --> Latham) could tip the scales.

Culture should also come into play. I think Debevoise has a reputation as being perhaps the most genteel firm in NYC; Latham has a reputation as being a bit frattier. If practice areas don't speak to you, maybe the difference in cultures will.

Best of luck. You have two great options and can't really go wrong, but there are differences between the two. Also consider how long you want to be in NYC; it might be easier to move if you're at Latham, since they have offices nationwide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Both are elite New York corporate shops but Debevoise 1) had no mass layoffs during the recession and 2) has pure lockstep partner compensation. Job security just seems stronger at Debevoise.

The recession thing doesn't bother me so much. It seems like they are trying to move on from that and I don't think another recession that bad is coming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:40 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
Let's not abuse the anonymous feature. There's nothing in this post that requires anonymity.

To answer the question: I think it's a tough call. While I agree that both firms are pretty "elite," they're not quite in the Cravath/Sullivan/Davis/Simpson group that is elite in virtually every practice group--point being that even a slight interest in a particular practice area that one excels at (e.g. private M&A, particularly funds --> Debevoise; debt capital markets --> Latham) could tip the scales.

Culture should also come into play. I think Debevoise has a reputation as being perhaps the most genteel firm in NYC; Latham has a reputation as being a bit frattier. If practice areas don't speak to you, maybe the difference in cultures will.

Best of luck. You have two great options and can't really go wrong, but there are differences between the two. Also consider how long you want to be in NYC; it might be easier to move if you're at Latham, since they have offices nationwide.
Thanks, this is helpful. I'm going for second looks, so hopefully that will help. I feel like securities and finance might interest me, but not 100%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:08 am

I think Latham has the better reputation. Debevoise the better people.

I've worked with both though, and nothing really distinguished about either from my perspective.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think Latham has the better reputation. Debevoise the better people.

I've worked with both though, and nothing really distinguished about either from my perspective.
Nationally perhaps. But in NYC I think Debevoise is a stronger brand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:34 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think Latham has the better reputation. Debevoise the better people.

Nationally perhaps. But in NYC I think Debevoise is a stronger brand.
Basically, these firms are both great. Reputation in NYC slightly leans to Deb, but Latham is well regarded everywhere, so it offers good international resources. For people, Deb has the better rep, but it's up to you.

Choosing one over the other will not change your professional opportunities that much, so just go with who you think you like more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:32 pm

I think Latham has better reputation generally and certainly that carries over in nyc as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think Latham has better reputation generally and certainly that carries over in nyc as well
http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... ?sRankID=9

Except it certainly doesn't. Prestige isn't necessarily tied to Vault rankings, but I'd say they're worth more to OP than the opinion of a single anon abuser on TLS.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 am

Putting the vault rankings aside--they tend to cheapen the discussion--Debevoise certainly has a more established brand in New York than Latham. The fact that Latham is better known in Texas, Los Angeles, or Asia does not change that. If you want to build a career in new york and you care about general reputation, Debevoise has a discernible edge.

That doesn't necessarily mean you should choose Deb, just a clarification.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:36 am

How much better is Debevoise in NY? I thought it was better but not that much.

Also, are their differences in exit options? Do certain companies hire more from one than the other?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much better is Debevoise in NY? I thought it was better but not that much.

Also, are their differences in exit options? Do certain companies hire more from one than the other?
I would view these firms as roughly equivalents in NY, with each having areas in which they are superior. I've never really understood the Debevoise Kool-Aid (and have some friends who had really bad experiences there) but there are those who seemingly love it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Can anybody speak to the Financial Institutions work at Latham? Seems like they are doing a lot of advanced fintech things compared to Debevoise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm in a similar situation. Anybody know which is better if you feel like you might want to exit to a bank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 pm

bump

so torn right now

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Ten strangers have given you opinions and another 54 have votes; it's also been 20+ days since your original post. Have you narrowed down the issues you have with going to one vs the other? Idk how much more this thread can help with your decision-making. I will say that if you go to one and end up not liking your summer, you could always just reapply to the other firm during 3L. They'll likely call you back again
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:28 pm

runinthefront wrote:Ten strangers have given you opinions and another 54 have votes; it's also been 20+ days since your original post. Have you narrowed down the issues you have with going to one vs the other? Idk how much more this thread can help with your decision-making. I will say that if you go to one and end up not liking your summer, you could always just reapply to the other firm during 3L. They'll likely call you back again

Not the same person, but I am making a similar choice. My question is if I not interested in private equity or funds, would Debevoise still be the better choice?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
runinthefront wrote:Ten strangers have given you opinions and another 54 have votes; it's also been 20+ days since your original post. Have you narrowed down the issues you have with going to one vs the other? Idk how much more this thread can help with your decision-making. I will say that if you go to one and end up not liking your summer, you could always just reapply to the other firm during 3L. They'll likely call you back again

Not the same person, but I am making a similar choice. My question is if I not interested in private equity or funds, would Debevoise still be the better choice?
I am not sure Debevoise would be the better choice if you were interested in private equity or funds. I guess their fund formation group, sure. But I see Latham on the PE side much more often than Debevoise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:55 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not sure Debevoise would be the better choice if you were interested in private equity or funds. I guess their fund formation group, sure. But I see Latham on the PE side much more often than Debevoise.
To be fair, the relative size of the firms may be more indicative of why you see more Latham than Debevoise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”