Skadden PA vs Simpson Thacher PA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Skadden or STB

Poll ended at Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Skadden PA
33%
STB PA
67%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

Skadden PA vs Simpson Thacher PA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:21 am

Any thoughts on making a decision between these two firms for lit in Palo Alto? Looking for a firm with good people to work with, interesting work, and exit options to eventually lateral outside of California. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden PA vs Simpson Thacher PA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:31 am

Wachtell

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wachtell

Come on, out this retard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:54 am

My general impression is that Skadden's regional offices are more independent and locally minded that the regional offices of other NY biglaw firms, primarily due to the firm's size and history of gobbling up local firms. They're more likely to have their own clients and do primarily local work. If you were planning to stay in Silicon Valley long term, I think that would cause Skadden to be a better choice compared to other NY firms' SV offices (though I can't speak to Skadden PA vs. STB PA specifically). That said, if you want to relocate away from California eventually, an office that does more nationally or internationally oriented work and has more clients outside of California like STB PA may be a better option. (That said, if you don't want to stay in California long term, why are you not interviewing for these firms' NY offices?) Work is going to be about the same at either firm.

Culture might be different but can't speak to it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My general impression is that Skadden's regional offices are more independent and locally minded that the regional offices of other NY biglaw firms, primarily due to the firm's size and history of gobbling up local firms. They're more likely to have their own clients and do primarily local work. If you were planning to stay in Silicon Valley long term, I think that would cause Skadden to be a better choice compared to other NY firms' SV offices (though I can't speak to Skadden PA vs. STB PA specifically). That said, if you want to relocate away from California eventually, an office that does more nationally or internationally oriented work and has more clients outside of California like STB PA may be a better option. (That said, if you don't want to stay in California long term, why are you not interviewing for these firms' NY offices?) Work is going to be about the same at either firm.

I'm familiar with Skadden PA and most of this seems wrong to me. What local firms has Skadden gobbled up, ever? I could be wrong on this, but I thought they always grew with transplants, at least in the US.

And the work going on in Palo Alto is "local" to the extent that there are huge multinationals headquartered nearby that they represent, but they're not doing nickel-and-dime local transactions. They also do a lot of inbound international M&A work coming out of China/Asia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

what is the culture like? I am also weighing these 2 offices. The general vibe I got from my Skadden callback was that it was an extremely busy office. People seemed to hint that there was quite a bit of turnover as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is the culture like? I am also weighing these 2 offices. The general vibe I got from my Skadden callback was that it was an extremely busy office. People seemed to hint that there was quite a bit of turnover as well.

People seem to like their coworkers and the environment is the opposite of cutthroat, but they are pretty busy, at least on the transactional side. Can't speak to the turnover.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Busy means more mindless diligence review for juniors and stress for mid-levels. Not too bad for seniors and great for partners, though.

Among other things, a main benefit of a satellite office is to generally escape from the hellacious hours of its NYC HQ. When I spent time in the STB PA office over the summer, people generally left the office around 7 or 8 (but got in around 9ish), and it was quite chill.

If you are wanting a busy work environment, wait until at least 3rd or 4th year to lateral because otherwise you'll just get more diligence to deal with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My general impression is that Skadden's regional offices are more independent and locally minded that the regional offices of other NY biglaw firms, primarily due to the firm's size and history of gobbling up local firms. They're more likely to have their own clients and do primarily local work. If you were planning to stay in Silicon Valley long term, I think that would cause Skadden to be a better choice compared to other NY firms' SV offices (though I can't speak to Skadden PA vs. STB PA specifically). That said, if you want to relocate away from California eventually, an office that does more nationally or internationally oriented work and has more clients outside of California like STB PA may be a better option. (That said, if you don't want to stay in California long term, why are you not interviewing for these firms' NY offices?) Work is going to be about the same at either firm.

I'm familiar with Skadden PA and most of this seems wrong to me. What local firms has Skadden gobbled up, ever? I could be wrong on this, but I thought they always grew with transplants, at least in the US.

And the work going on in Palo Alto is "local" to the extent that there are huge multinationals headquartered nearby that they represent, but they're not doing nickel-and-dime local transactions. They also do a lot of inbound international M&A work coming out of China/Asia.

This is my experience as well.

You will not find the start up SV transactional work at Skadden - it will be large public company M&A and Securities work and a small sliver of it will involve tech companies that happen to be HQ'd in the area.

The inbound Asia M&A is also prevalent at Skadden PA - many of the corporate partners have spent time in the Asian biglaw offices (Skadden and otherwise).

People are generally very friendly and laid back. They can be extremely busy and the deals are fairly leanly staffed, but many of the associates have families and leave around 7 to go home and then log on remotely if needed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Skadden has the better location - easy walk to all kinds of restaurants/cafe/bank/store/gym and close to the Palo Alto Caltrain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:40 pm

Does anyone know what Skadden's summer program is like in Palo Alto? What kind of social events, etc?

Return to “Legal Employment�